Chapter 69

Felix : Go on. Take them off!

Felix had heard the water dragon get up from his chair and fall into his bed. He was very happy to be rid of Sam's presence. He wanted Aeck to get on with it quickly, he wanted to sleep early.

Aeck watched Viri quietly. She'd come to him, that was very unlikely after what he'd said. It took him a moment to look back at Felix and then back at Viri. It suddenly hit him that if he had to continue with her present here, there'd be no coming back from that.

His eyes finally slid down from her eyes to what she was holding. He'd recognize it anywhere, his amber gemstone. The reason he was captive, the source of everything. It almost angered him but then realization came in like a tidal wave. It swept away the anger.

Viri waited for him. Slowly, Aeck turned his eyes to Felix, who had crossed one leg over the other, waiting for entertainment. And entertained he would be.

Aeck's eyes changed. Felix's face paled soon after. The boy choked, Aeck felt tiny embers rise from inside him but this wasn't the time for torture. Aeck quickly knocked off Felix, who's head fell back into unconsciousness. Felix wasn't worth it. He turned to look at what did.

Viri was looking at Felix.

Viri : He isn't dead.

Aeck : I know.

Viri's eyes fell on him. Slowly, taking in everything. Aeck was suddenly aware of his state, he was in the middle of undressing.

Viri : He's done this before.

Aeck (Thankful for conversation) : Yes

Viri : Why not kill him?

Aeck : I don't care to.

Viri's face adjusted to that. She took it in and then stood straight on her feet, moving towards him. The gemstone cradled between her hands. Sam and Jade had moved away, probably to give them privacy, or maybe in need of some? Aeck wasn't sure. And then it struck him.

Aeck : How did you get that?

Viri (looking up confused) : From Felix's pocket.

Aeck : I know there's more. It landed in Felix's pocket, didn't it?

Viri : Yes.

Aeck : How?

Viri : I had something the general wanted, we traded.

Aeck : He traded with you?

Viri : I sent it through a message, it was believable.

Aeck was still trying to comprehend it. It didn't make sense, that seemed too easy.

Viri : He let go of it for the night. He doesn't know it's stolen. Here.

Aeck thought the day he'd finally get his gemstone, he'd hold onto it. Away from everyone. But as the most powerful person he knew, extended it to him, what was supposed to feel liberating, felt like a punch. He'd shouted at her, accusing her of having forgotten about it. He felt, unworthy. He took it weakly. The stone carried the gentle warmth from Viri's hands.

Aeck : Thankyou.

Viri : I plan to meet the king. Tomorrow. Now that the Blacks can't control you, I'm sure they'll use him.

Aeck took a minute to absorb that. He'd always wondered how his birth parents were but to know that they were held captive as well, didn't sit right.

Aeck : I'll come. If you'll have me.

Viri : Sure. You're free to leave here. We could meet at the dungeon gates by tomorrow evening, when the Black's retire to their chambers. Emerald will help you in and out.

Aeck stared at her.

Viri : What is it?

Aeck : You know what I'm thinking

Viri : No.

Aeck : Aren't you going to look into it? Read my mind.

Viri : No, that's alright.

She wasn't going to reach out, not to him, not anymore.

Aeck let his head drop. He shouldn't cry, there was no need to. She was angry, he'd made her angry. He should apologize now, tell her it was all a stupid plan, but the way she spoke to him, drained him of all hope.

Viri : I'll keep my eyes on the king, I can't trust him yet. You can keep a look out for the king's men, I'm told there are seven. Older dragons from the king's counsel.

Aeck knew that Viri could easily handle this meeting with the king on her own. God of anger was strong but nobody came even close to Viridian's power.

Aeck : I can stay. I don't mind.

Viri frowned : You told me you didn't wish to.

Aeck : I said a lot of things, didn't I?

Viri : Yes.

Aeck looked up at her. Not knowing how to continue. Where to go with this. How does one apologize?

Viri : You can ask Emerald to take you out if you'd like. I'll wait, tomorrow.

Aeck : Is there anything else you'd like to talk to me about? 

Aeck knew that sounded odd. He wanted to know if Viri would question him, as he had questioned her. Instead...

Viri took soft steps towards Felix, who had his head hanging back. Aeck watched her as she stood behind Felix. Her hands slipped to cup his jaw and another went around his head. She looked up at Aeck. And then cracked the delicate neck of the fire dragon. Aeck couldn't move.

Viri : There is. Next time, do not shy away from killing.

Felix's head was now hanging at an odd shape. Viri was dragging him out effortlessly with his arm outside his cell. Aeck moved to hold Viri's arm through the bars of his cell. She raised her eyebrows in question.

Aeck : Was that you being a god or you trying to protect me?

Viri : The killing?

Aeck nodded.

Viri : God. The kind that leaves people to rot.

Aeck didn't know why he was smiling like an idiot. It made absolutely no sense. She was clearly referring to his comment from before but something about all of it just...seemed too intense to be easy. He looked at Sam and Jade...who were on top of each other on the bed, with their heads turned to him.

Sam : I hope you don't mind, we decided to carry on after Viri came.

Jade : Is that man dead?

Aeck nodded. With that stupid grin on him.

Jade looked at Sam and then back at Aeck.

Jade : That's the first time she's done something... "last god like". Well, he definitely deserved it.

Sam : He did. What are you grinning at godling?

Aeck : Just at how I'm in love with the scariest thing I've ever met and how I've managed to piss her off.