Chapter 65

Nobody is talking. Emerald doesn't care. There's a new face, quite tall, irrelevant. She'd got here a couple of minutes ago. Viridian had made sure she was safe, Viridian always made sure she was safe. She'd left her for 20 minutes to get to the dungeon and now Emerald is happy to be reunited.

Viri : Get here okay?

Emerald nods. There's a change in Viri's vibe. Somehow, somehow, she's become even more attractive than before. Emerald notices Sam's eyes drilling into her. She stops looking at Viri.

Sam : What's the plan

Emerald waits for Viri. She isn't talking. So she does instead.

Emerald : There are about 200 people in the palace. We need to go the East wing, to get...Spade?

Sam : Jade

Emerald : Right. Jade. I've created a distraction at the north wing, it should...go off in about 10 minutes. We need to get halfway, distract the guards at East wing and stay low.

Aeck : How do you suggest we "stay low"?

Emerald : Walk like a soldier. Pretend you're helping. Hide subtly. Make out, if someone catches you.

Aeck raised his eyebrows.

Sam : Fire dragons are horny all the time Aeck. We'll find a basket for you to hold, don't worry.

Everyone seems to understand, they're waiting for Viri, not a sound from her. Emerald reads the vibe, Viri is not a talker. Emerald leads them instead. Viri stays at the end.

Sam rubs his hand against the wall and draws very little blood. It's enough.

(Sam talks to Aeck in his head...the pain from the wound works like quarter)

Sam : Godling!

Aeck (startled) : Sam?

Sam : She's mad. What the hell did you say?

Aeck : Everything. I royally fucked up.

Sam : She isn't talking. Did you see her eyes? 

Aeck : I did. This will work.

Sam : oh she's definitely angry.

Aeck smiles. They walk carefully. This Emerald person is very confident. Her hair is bright and so it's very easy to follow her. She has an injured knee, Aeck hasn't fixed it, he needs to know what she's thinking, just in case.

Sam : Duck

They fall back. Viri pulls Aeck and Sam into a room, Emerald fits perfectly behind a pillar. They hold their breath, Aeck can see her, her eyes are focused so he can steal a look. Viri has her hands tight on Aeck's shirt and on Sam's hands. She's angry. She's also standing really close. The daggers on either sides of Viri's thighs are cold against the inside of Aeck's leg...his mind has traveled a lot of places. She pushes them out again. Aeck clears his head.

Sam catches upto Emerald. The two white heads are adorable together. Aeck can feel the steady sound of Viri's footsteps behind him. She isn't using her power, not yet.

Sam : why are you doing this.

Emerald : Doing what

Sam : Helping us. Helping me.

Emerald : Viridian wants my help. I'm happy to.

Sam : Are you and Viri friends?

Emerald (turns to him) : Gods, you're jealous she may have another friend?

Sam : No. Duck.

They hide again. Sam and Emerald beneath a table. Viri and Aeck behind a rather large veiled object.

Sam (whispering) : You're telling me Viri just asked you to help out and you agreed?

Emerald nodded.

Sam (still whispering) : that makes no sense. You helped us before too. And you hate me, you hate spending time around me. So why?

Emerald standing up now that it's clear.

Emerald : Is this your way of thanking me? I don't know, you're always with her. It's coincidence.

Sam cannot wrap his head around this. Something is up. Does emerald owe Viri something? Is she plotting against them? Did she steal the gemstones? He's going to go crazy.

They're near the East wing. They've hidden under a rather large table (Sam is worried it might be a coffin...you know...an old coffin. Palace is a weird place) Sam doesn't dare to look at Viri's direction, Aeck seems to feel the same way. They wait.

Emerald whispers a countdown. On cue, something large falls down. Somewhere far away. But it sounds like it's falling onto people. Sam is looking at his sister, who is looking at Viri, who is now, smiling. It's the kind of smile that tells you to run but Emerald doesn't seem to get that. They wait for the footsteps to fall out and then they come out.

Sam : What on earth was that?

Viri still has that smile. She nods at Emerald and takes the lead. They follow.

Sam : Did you kill someone?

Emerald : Collateral damage.

Sam : I'll pretend you didn't just say that.

Emerald : Who is this guy?

Sam : Aeck? He's Aeck. A... He's a friend.

Emerald : oh

Sam's inner monologue - 'oh? Oh? Tell me you haven't seen him around. Tell me he's distractingly good looking. Tell me something.'

Viri stops. Aeck's eyes haven't left Emerald for sometime now. Sam feels the need to put some distance between the two. It's all very odd very quickly.

Viri can feel it. It's here, very close. Not in the East wing. She can feel the tug, she feels the terrifying familiarity. Whoever it is, is close and they're not sure about her. She stretches out. She learns the floor plan and then, she opens her eyes and Aeck is standing Infront of her.

Aeck : What's wrong?

Viri (not to Aeck) : Jade is in the West wing.

Sam : That's awesome. Let's go there then.

Emerald : To the west wing? That doesn't seem safe.

Sam : We have to try. Can't we try?

Emerald : don't be stupid

Sam (puppy eyes at Viri) : Can we?

Viri nods. Emerald is suddenly taking a head count. Sam decides to roll with it. Meeting Jade is way more important than figuring out Emerald.

Viri : We'll try to get as close as possible. I'll try to call him out. But if somebody sees us, they'll know. I don't intend to kill too many. So take cover, distract, do whatever.

Sam nods tightly. He grabs Aeck's arm and walks behind Viri and Emerald. He's excited.

Emerald finds Viri match her step. Viri's fast on her feet, she's also soundless but Emerald can always hear her. She finds Viri's eye scan the perimeter and then they land on her. It's the strangest thing, having Viri look at you. It's like someone's biting you and licking you at the same time. Atleast that's what it feels like to emerald. She looks straight.

There are four Blacks. Four fire dragons coming their way. She hears them before she sees them. The walls to the west wing are blank. There are pillars, half hiding into the walls. There's not enough time to hide.