Chapter 63

Aeck : What do you mean she doesn't get angry.

Sam : I'm telling you godling, I have never seen her angry. She has the patience of a rock. Nothing breaks through. And believe me, I've tried.

Aeck : That is so strange.

Sam : Is it a god thing?

Aeck : No. I distinctly remember throwing temper fits. Several.

Sam : Well then...you try being angry. See if you feel anything?

Aeck closed his eyes. He didn't need any prompts to be angry. He thought of the blacks, his childhood, and the persistent ember lit right up. When he opened his eyes, Sam felt it too. Aeck tried to reach for it...waited to feel hands around his mind. That's what Viri's power felt like, soft, threateningly delicate, cold hands... caressing him. He was starting to develop an unhealthy obsession with that particular feeling. He shook his head.

Sam : So...?

Aeck : Not a thing. Our best bet is Viridian.

Sam : Getting Viri angry is hard. And besides, what if she's scary when she's angry?

Aeck : She has better range Sam. I've felt it...we have to try.

Sam : Okay. Should I make a list of everything I know she hates?

Aeck : well, sure.

Sam, after spending 10 minutes in serious silence - comes up with three things. That can't be good.

Sam : I don't know anything that's serious enough. How do I make her angry with water?

Aeck : She won't get angry at you.

Sam : Can't blame her. One can't stay mad at hot people. Are you willing to try?

Aeck sits back on his bed. It isn't the offense, it's just dread. His palms are pressed to his eyes.

Aeck : I just...we were just getting to know each other. I don't even know if she likes me enough. It's too soon. But it's our only option.

Sam (definitely a little sad but protective as always) : perhaps...just...try to have an argument? Nothing too pointed? There's no need to hurt her.

Aeck (sigh) : I'm going to regret this.

Sam : I can try to talk to her for you. You know, if this goes some other way...maybe...in a couple of months...

Aeck smiling : That's very reassuring Sam, thankyou.

Sam nods and they both fall back into their beds. There isn't much to do in the dungeons. They have, however, noted down the rotations, the guard names, their physical health (because Aeck is paranoid), who's shagging who (because Sam wants to) and every other detail. Viri, obviously is going to come in at evening.

The palace is holding some ball, the preparation for it has invited more than the usual number of staff.  Viri didn't elaborate but Sam assumes they're using it as a distraction. He is extremely worried about Jade. He secretly hopes Jade shifted into a rodent and escaped the whole raid. He's been eyeing every rat in the dungeon with unnecessary intensity.

Viri : Hey... I got Emerald in. She'll be here in about...10 minutes?

Sam has been practicing distractions. He can't be scared, Viri would find out and then she definitely won't be angry and then they'll never find the other god.

Aeck : Emerald is...?

Sam : My sister. A brown. Half water dragon. Same white hair, not as pretty and oddly, really enthusiastic about this.

Aeck nods.

Viri is already working on Sam's cell door. Sam stretches.

Sam : We're going on a silent raid?

Viri : Something like that, yes.

Aeck is carefully watching Viri. She seems calm, steady fingers around the bars, confident stance... she's the usual. Which...isn't helpful. Aeck starts his game the second she opens his door.

Aeck : I can walk free for sometime?

Viri (looking up) : Yes

Don't look at me like that Viridian, that makes everything hard.

Aeck : Are we're going to walk through the palace?

Viri (happy to see one of these men react normally to a situation so odd) : Well, We're going to climb up when Emerald gets here. There are a lot of people on the palace grounds today...we should blend in. I have a feeling Jade's near the East wing, I felt something. We should be able to keep you two from coming back here for quite some time. Is that okay?

Aeck (lets out a practiced evil laugh) : And you assumed I'd be okay with that?

Sam's jaw is open. He isn't acting. He doesn't need to. He knows this is all for the greater goal but damn...this god has a lot of nerve talking to Viri like that.

Viri (visibly taken back) : I...Is that not okay?

Aeck sits back down on the chair. He knows what he's doing, what he's going to do. And so, there is no fear. Dread? Yes. Guilt? Also yes. But lucky for him, she doesn't sense either of those.

Sam suddenly realisizes his silence may seem suspicious to Viri. He uses his steady voice.

Sam : What's wrong Aeck? What's this about?

Sam is terrible at this. His mind is elsewhere but his body is tense. Thankfully, Viri doesn't seem to notice. She hasn't moved her eyes from Aeck. He knows. It is why this is going to work.

Aeck : You want me to take a walk? Out in the palace? Do you not even care Viridian?

Viri : I don't understand.

Aeck looks up at her. It's worse than he'd prepared himself for. There's worry and her eyebrows have been drawn in the sweetest frown. He wants to kiss it away but that wouldn't help anybody, so he wears his straight face.

Aeck : Ofcourse you don't. Do you really not understand why this is hard for me? Or do you just not want to.

Emerald walks in. Sam is relieved. He quickly stops her and leads her outside the dungeon.

Sam : I'll let you two have a minute.

And then he moves out to stare at a confused Emerald. He realises a little late that this is the first time he's been in the company of his sister. Oddly, this isn't the worst thing happening at this moment.