Chapter 80

Vermilion forgot his pride as he lunged to get his stone back. Aeck felt the man go through a series of emotions which he couldn't be concerned with. The general was shaking now, his eyes locked with Viridian's. 

Viridian : Remind me general, how did the old gods punish?

General (stuttering) : The..the tower of torture...

Viridian (very relaxed now) : Ah... that's right. A week of torture before death. Quite elaborate if you ask me. 

General : Kill me, kill me and get this over with. 

Viridian changed now. Sam heard the fabric of her dress tear at several places and very quickly, there was a dark dragon, similar to Aeck, standing in front of the fire dragons. The only difference being, this one was far too scary. She let out a roar, that green fire blinding everyone, the sound broke through the night sky and everyone, everything stopped dead. Sam was certain he smelled some pee. He would have giggled but it took him a minute to remind himself that Viri wouldn't kill him. 

Viridian (back with mind speaking because everyone in the room is scared) : Do not tell me what to do dragon. 

The general had covered his head with his hands like a scared child started to weep now. Sam was especially happy of this outcome. 

Viridian : I know of the divine court. And when I find them, which I will, you will be allowed to repent. Until then, you will serve in vermilion's court. Aeck may punish you as your prince but the gods will only deal with you after, until then, I'll give you the gift of fear to keep you from death. 

The general shook his head violently. He knew the dark ones were vengeful. Vermilion would make his life miserable, everyday he'd make him wish to die. He'd done horrible things to Aeck, they wouldn't be kind. He couldn't take another minute of it, he tried to bring his sword towards his chest to end this himself. But his hands wouldn't move, they'd stay frozen, some large part of his brain was scared to die. He felt the fog take over his brain. But that didn't make any sense, until..until he looked back at the green eyed god. Everything felt cold. The ancient had freed themselves and now, they'd make him pay for everything. He screamed. 

*** 

Sam woke up with a big yawn. This palace life was getting comfortable. He hadn't been asked to return to the academy for two days now, that's all the time he needed to recover, Athoms had just gotten exciting. 

That day, the General was taken by Jade into the dungeons, the screaming was getting a bit annoying so Sam didn't mind. He didn't miss how Viri checked if he had been hurt by the general. They turned to find fire dragons confused and completely overcome by the dilemma of fight or flight. The memory of some of those morons coming straight at Sam and being flung by Viri's whip of wings makes him giggle. 

Since then, the fire in Athoms only remains patient within ovens that are busy baking bread or floating over candles between lovers nervous giggling over late dinners. Viri might have done the impossible, humbled the fire dragons. The town is in awe and no one really asks them about it. They haven't ventured into the town yet but he's heard of whispers of how people are absolutely terrified and relieved at the same time - all things considered, not a bad place to be. 

Aeck, being the gentleman he is, doesn't like being referred to as "the prince". Naturally, that's exactly what Sam calls him now. Vermillion hasn't been able to face them yet but he did welcome them into the castle. Well, it's either that or Viridian just likes the bed in the west wing. Sam doesn't mind his new accomodations. They're supposed to meet the Queen soon, the painter Viri calls her. 

Sam expects people to get emotional (and himself) so he's decided to wear the most revealing castle clothes he could find. If he's sexy, nobody is going to call him a crybaby. He likes family reunions - it's not his fault. 

Jade (walking into Sam's room) : You do know the Queen is taken right? 

Sam (cheeky as ever) : Not for long. 

Jade : Should I be worried? 

Sam : To keep the spark alive, yes. Has Aeck said anything about getting to mee his mother? Any word from Viri? 

Jade : The gods have kept to themselves mostly. Aeck doesn't see them as his parents but this is hard on him, I can tell. He does have the patience of a god though. 

Sam (reassuringly rubbing Jade's back): This has been a whirlwind for you and him, hasn't it?

Jade (leaning on Sam ever so slightly) : In the best way, yes. Although I'm not sure he shares my sentiment yet. 

Sam : So I go find Viri and you get Aeck? Let's get this family reunion over with. I don't want to be crying too long, my eyes get puffy.   

Sam kisses Jade goodbye and heads towards the door. Jade smiles and changes into more royal clothes.