Johnny Cade

"Johnny," I repeat. "Johnny." I break down. "Johnny!"
Michael attempts to stabilize me but I collapse down onto the cold hardwood floor. "Aidy."
I break down into a fountain of tears and cry into my hands as Michael holds me to him.
"Johnny!"
Ponyboy stands in the doorway and stares at me. "Aidy?"
"Pony," I cough trying to compose myself. I look up at him. "Johnny, Joh- johnny's." My breath shutters.
"What?"
"He's gone Pony."
"Is he missing? I don't understand."
"Pony he's dead."
"No, no he was here this morning. No."
"Yes. Uhm on his way home, uhm. Steve. Steve found him. Steve killed him Ponyboy."
"But," Ponyboy just stares again.

I hadn't been to a funeral since mom and dad. This one hurt worse. Pony didn't break down.
He was broken to the point of not breaking. He just stared silently at the dark brown, wooden casket at the front of the church.
"Today, we gather here to honor the far too short life of Johnathan Cade," It's his mother. She's in all black, Johnny's necklace strung around her neck. "Johnny was a brave young man. I didn't appreciate his time on this earth until I got the call he was dead. I didn't believe it. I thought it was his friends trick'n
me. But I showed up to the morgue and my baby boy was there. Johnny never hurt a sole but on August 19 his life was stolen by a selfish son of a b-."
Mr. Cade escorts her from the stand.
"Pony, say something for him."
"I can't. How do I say I was in love with him without outing myself to this whole church."
"I'll say something," I brush off my very old dress and walk down the isle between the pews to the stand. "Hello. I'm Aidelaide Curtis. Most know me just as Aidy. I was a dear friend to Johnny. He always like a fourth brother to me. I loved that kid so much. He was so resilient and joked no matter his situation. I never thought one of our own would end his so short life. Johnny was almost eighteen. He had plans to attend college. Now he can't."
"Steve killed him because we were dating," I see Pony standing in the pews.
The crowd gasps.
"I was holdin his hand and playin with his hair and Steve came in. At first he just punched him, roughed him up. Then the next morning he found him on the streets and shot him dead in cold blood. We aren't evil! I just want to be loved." Finally he broke. He now cried.