Chapter 2

*Emma's POV*

Holy crap. He's my lab partner. Joey's my lab partner. I quickly walked to the seat my teacher had indicated, and set my stuff down. Joey sat next to me. I could feel him looking at me, but I kept my focus away from him. There was no need for him to see my face, where my crush on him was probably blatantly obvious. "Ahem," he cleared his throat. I turned to look at him. "Hey," he said. "Hi," I replied, a little too quickly. He raised his eyebrows. I gave a nervous little laugh. "Sorry," I said. "I'm nervous about dissections. I hate scalpels and knifes." Jory's brows furrowed. "But don't you hunt?" I inhaled a little more air than usual. How did he know that?

"Well, yeah, but..." I just let the rest of my sentence die on my lips. The teacher began to hand out descriptions of our amphibian dissections. I looked over the packet, noting we would be dissecting frogs and salamanders, among other things. I shuddered. I hated scalpels. Too many trips to the hospital when I was younger. Oh well. At least Joey could help me...

*Jeannine's POV*  

There she was. Joey's twin sister. I stood at my locker, looking at her. When she disconnected from her group of friends, I walked over to her. She was one of the popular girls, but could be nice if you caught her at the right time. Luckily, I had. I hate to admit this, and don't get me wrong, I love Emma and she is my best friend, but my social standing was a little higher than hers. So I could get away with talking to the populars. "Hey Jeannine," she said. "Hey," I replied. "So I was wondering if you could do me a favor." Her name was Liz. She nodded. "So my friend Emma has the biggest crush in you brother. Could you, I don't know, maybe, uh, talk to him for me?" Liz looked thoughtful.

"Okay. Works for me." I thanked her again, then headed over to Emma. I wasn't about to tell her what I did. Not yet. Maybe never.