Chapter Twenty

*Emma's POV*

After Joey left, I laid in my bed, thinking of the events of the day. The fights with Mom had been awful. I didn't ever want to go through that again. But I didn't know what to do. Mom was resorting to methods reserved for when we became really desperate. How could I get into her head that we still had a chance? And on the bright side, Joey kissed me today. It was amazing. I sat up in bead and looked out the window. Joey. At the moment, he and Jeannine were the only bright spots in my world. And I know those two could get me through anything.

I was startled from my thoughts by a knock at the door. It opened slowly, and Joey peaked through. I wiped the tears that I didn't know I had been crying from my cheeks. He stepped into the room and walked over to my bed. This was a stupid move, considering he was a teenage boy, but I let him lay down next to me. We turned on our sides, facing each other. "Em, I know this is hard. But I'm here," Joey said. He intertwined our fingers. I scooted closer to him, so that our chests were almost touching. "I'm scared, Joey. I don't know if Mom will find another job or what will happen. What if she keeps drinking? I don't want to go home to that! I..." I trailed off. The tears had begun to fall again. Joey wiped them away softly, the pulled our hands apart so he could wrap his arms around me tightly. I inhaled his scent, the smell of Hollister cologne and soccer jersey. I'm not sure how long we stayed like that. It was a while. Eventually, he pulled back, and kissed me. I kissed back. He pulled me into him again, and I fell asleep to the rhythm of his breathing and heartbeat.