Chapter Forty

*Joey's POV*

We all sat there and looked at each other for a second. Then, almost spontaneously, we jumped out of our seats. I sprinted from the restaraunt, the other two close behind. "Meet me at Emma's!" I shouted behind me. I dropped into my mustang, and sped away. I was speeding way over the speed limit, but I didn't care. Emma was in trouble. My suspicions about her being depressed were right. Of course, Emma's house was on the other side of town. I drove a little faster, pushing eighty in a fifty-five zone. Emma, please be okay. I'm sorry. I love you, and I want to be with you. I can't handle you not being here. Please, please, please, don't do anything stupid. I slammed my hand down on the steering wheel. "Emma, Emma, Emma..." I said to myself. I pulled into her neighborhood, and sped towards her house. I parked in the driveway, and sprinted towards the front door. It was locked. I ran around the house to the back door, which was also locked. I didn't care. I stepped back, and kicked viciously at the A/glass. It shattered loudly. I stepped in the house, which was a mess. "Emma?" I called. No answer.

I checked all the downstairs rooms, before going up the stairs. I avoided going into Emma's room, so I checked all the other rooms first. Nothing. I wiggled the doorknob on Emma's door, but it was locked. So, like the back door, I kicked it in. Emma wasn't in the bedroom, but the bathroom light was on, and the door was open. What I saw next would scar me for life.

Emma was laying on the bedroom floor, a knife in her right hand. Her left wrist was cut open, with many other scars crossing it. There was blood flowing freely from the wound. She was unconcious, and I could tell she had already lost a lot of blood. "Emma!" I yelled. I dropped next to her, and tried to stop the blood flowing from her wrist. "Please! Emma!" Tears began to stream down my face. I heard Jeannine and Nick going through the broken back door. "Joey?" They called. "Up here!" I yelled. I didn't know what to do. My hands were covered in blood. I heard them come through the door. Nick came first. I looked up at him, sobbing. He turned around and pushed Jeannine back. "No, you don't want to see this," he pleaded to her. "The fuck I do! Emma is my best friend!" Jeannine pushed Nick to the side. When she saw Emma, she screamed. "Nick!" I shouted. He came over to me. "She's still alive. We have to get her to the hospital." I picked her up, and Nick used some rags to staunch the flow of blood. Jeannine followed us down. "Can you drive?" I asked her. She nodded, and got in the car. Nick, Emma, and I sat in the back. Hang on, Emma. 

A/N: Sorry if this was difficult for anyone, but it's for, as always, story purposes.