Chapter Thirteen

*Emma's POV*

"Hello?" I called to my mom when I got to my house. I hear a groan from the kitchen, and fearing the worst, ran In there. I saw my mom sitting at the kitchen table with a beer in her hand. "Mom?" I asked tentatively. She raised her eyes to mine. I watched them focus on me, and then grow cold. "Where have you been?" Her voice was thick, but dangerously low. "I was at Joey's for dinner. I called and you said it was fine.My mom was obviously drunk. I backed up slowly. "Child, you really think that boy likes you? He probably pities you. What boy could like a failure like you?" And with that, she threw her bottle at the wall, where it shattered by my head. Startled and sobbing, I turned and ran to my room. I locked the door and burrowed into my sheets. I could hear my mom screaming and breaking things, but I didn't care. I shakily grabbed my phone and dialed Joey's number. "Hey, Em." I cleared my throat. "Joey, do you like me for me, or do you just pity me?" He sucked in air.

"Emma, I like you. For you. I don't pity you at all." My mom shrieked and broke something else. "What is that noise?" I shuddered. "The neighbor," I lied. "She is doing...home renovation." Joey said, "Bye, Emma. I'm have to so something with my family tomorrow so I won't see you until Monday." I said goodbye and disconnected. Finally, my mom was silent. I figured I should go and check on her. I found her in the living room, passed out in a puddle of her own vomit. I grabbed her arms and pulled her out of the puke. I cleaned up the sick, and then dragged my mom to her bathtub, leaving her inside of it. I took a quick shower, and after braiding my hair, got into bed. I clicked off the light, exhausted.