Chapter Eight

*Joey's POV* 

"Joey? Are you in here?" I heard my mom call. "Quick, go to the bathroom!" I pointed to where it was and then replied to my mother, "In the kitchen!" She walked in and kissed my cheek, setting her shopping bags on the counter. "Did you win your game?" I nodded. "Four to one." My dad clapped me on the back. "Good job, son." I cleared my throat. "Ummm, Mom, Dad, well, my... Uh.... My girlfriend is here...." My mom jumped up. "What? I thought you broke up with Lauren! Where is she?" I inclined my head towards the hallway. "In the bathroom." Emma chose that moment to walk in. She saw my parents and said, "Hi. I'm Emma, Joey's girlfriend." My mom and dad shook her hand. Emma turned to go. "I should be leaving." But my mom shook her head. "Oh no! Stay for dinner! I insist!" Emma looked at me and then at my mom. 

"Well, okay, I just have to call my mom." She walked into the dining room to make the call. "She's beautiful!" My mom exclaimed in hushed tones. "I know. And she doesn't realize it, and I hate it." Emma returned to the kitchen. "My mom says its okay." My mom smiled. "Greatt! Now, Joey, go clean your room. At least you'll have someone to talk to." I dragged Emma up to my room. "Ugh, you really do need to clean in here. I'll help." She pulled up the shades and opened the window, getting some fresh air into the room. Then she proceeded to make the bed. "Your mom is really nice to me," she said. I picked up a pair of pants from the floor and replied, "I know. I guess I'm lucky." We kept cleaning, which mostly composed of her insulting me until I did something. Eventually, it was all clean. Emma laid down on my bed, stretching out her muscles. I sat down next to her. I loved the way her eyes looked in the fading sun. I reached for her hand and took it. She smiled. I lay down and let her snuggle into me. Pretty soon, I knew she had fallen asleep. I watched her for a while, and then I fell asleep too.

*Emma's POV* 

"Should we wake them up?" I heard someone whisper. I cracked open my eyes to see Mr. and Mrs. Nelson standing in the doorway. "No, let them sleep. Joey had a game so he's probably really tired." They left  

I rolled onto my stomach and put my head in Joey's chest, listening to his heartbeat. He opened his eyes. "Hey," he whispered. "Hey," I quietly replied. We sat up and stretched. "Your mom and dad were up here earlier. They were debating whether or not to wake us up." Joey glanced at his clock. "We've been sleeping for three hours!" I swung my legs off the bed and stood up. "I have to go to the bathroom, let's go down after that." I walked to the bathroom. When I came back, I saw Joey angrily looking at something. I came up behind him and asked, "What's that?" He quickly turned. "Lauren sent me this in the mail. It says that as soon as she finds out who I'm dating, she will kill them." I widened my eyes, and Joey wrapped me in his arms protectively. "But she's not going to hurt you. I'll protect you." We walked downstairs for dinner. "Good, you two are up! We're having salmon, I hope you like it." I smiled. "Salmon is my favorite fish!" We sat down at the dinner table. The food was excellent, and I told Mrs. Nelson this. "Thanks, dear. Now tell us about yourself." I finished chewing and set down my fork. "Well, I'm going to Columbia next year, and I want to be a pediatrician." Mr. Nelson was impressed. "Columbia! Wow!" I nodded. "Yeah, my mom teaches psychology there. So I get most of it free." Her parents nodded. "Joey if you want to start taking up the dishes?" He stood. I rose as well. "I'll help." I grabbed my plate and glass and brought them to the counter. After the table was cleared, I said, "I should get home. My mom is probably expecting me soon." Joey's parents rose. "Thank you for coming." I smiled and Joey and I walked out the door. "Thanks for staying," he said. I leaned against my car. "Your parents really are very nice." I got in the car and rolled down the window. "Drive safe," Joey said. I waved and drove back to my house, feeling like flying.