Chapter Five

*Joey's POV* 

I walked to my car with a smile on my face. Liz was waiting for me. "So, your day was eventful," she said while eyeing the almost faded slap mark on my face. She punched my shoulder. "Hey! What was that for?" I said indignantly. " You don't know how to break up with a girl. If she slaps you, you're doing it wrong." I shook my head and got in my car. "What about Emma?" Liz asked. "I gave her my number and told her to text me. I think I'll take her out tomorrow night. But I did tell her we can't be public. Most of the populars have a crush on me, and I don't want them to hurt her." Liz scowled. "My friends would never do that!" I looked at her. "We'll, there are other populars besides you are your friends, right?" Her scowl softened. "Anyway, I think I'll take her into the city. Less chance of being seen." Liz nodded. When we got home, she went straight up to her room, mumbling something about an essay for Political Sciences. I was eating pizza when my phone buzzed. The text read, 'Hey, it's Emma.' I texted back, 'Hey. So are you up for a date tomorrow night?' After a few minutes, she replied, 'Yeah!.' I told her I would pick her up around seven. I smiled, happy I could finally get the girl I wanted.

*Emma's POV* 

"Mom!" I called. "Joey is picking me up in an hour and a half! I'm getting ready!" I heard her yell something back, but I couldn't make out her words. I shrugged and went into my bathroom. Yes, I have my own bathroom. Being an only child has its perks. I stripped off my sweatpants and t shirt and stepped into the shower. I washed my hair and shaved, and then turned the water off. I stepped out and wrapped my self in my bathrobe. I sat on the stool in front of my mirror and proceeded to do my hair. Joey had told me we were going somewhere nice, so I decided on putting my hair in a nice bun style. After I did my hair, I started on my makeup. Yeah, I'm not a girly girl, so I just put on a little eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss. After that, I pulled on a white sundress, and slipped into gold gladiator sandals. I grabbed a white tote bag I used as my purse and went downstairs just as I heard Joey's car pull up. I waited at the door, excited but nervous.

*Joey's POV*

I pulled up to Emma's house, and saw she was waiting at the window. God, she was beautiful. And she wasn't even trying. Barely any makeup. Just her. I hated it when girls plastered makeup on their faces. It wasn't real. I walked up to the door, where she opened it, and shouted behind her, "Mom! Joey's here!" I saw Mrs. Tiller come down the stairs. She held out her hand. "Hello, I'm Mrs. Tiller. I would like Emma home before midnight." I nodded and smiled. "Bye honey. Have fun!" Mrs. Tiller said. I walked Emma to my car. "So where are we going?" She asked, as I opened the passenger door. I grinned. "Le Bernadin." Emma's mouth dropped open. "You got us into the number one restaurant in New York City? But it's so expensive!" I shrugged. "Emma, my family doesn't really have a problem with money." She looked around my red mustang. "Well, obviously." I pulled out of the driveway, turned on the music, and rolled down the windows. Summer was here. All the exams were over, our Science unit was really only a filler for our required days. I was looking forward to a summer with Emma, who was, I hoped, my future girlfriend. I would wait until the third or fourth date. Emma started singing along to the radio, which was playing Alicia Keys. "You have a really good voice!" I remarked. "Thanks," she said, and blushed. When we got to the restaurant, we sat down at our reserved table and ordered some waters and oysters. When we got out drinks and appetizers, I asked what her family did. "Well, my mom is a college psych professor at Columbia. So I pretty much get a free ride there. But my dad, well, I don't see him. He left about ten years ago."

I took her hand. "I'm sorry," I said simply.