Chapter 16

-

'𝘠𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘺𝘪𝘯𝘨.'

Akechi froze.

Did the other figure out who really took his life? The detective really couldn't allow that to happen.. "I-"
But at that moment he had nothing he could say.

"Why didn't you tell them!?... You uncovered the truth about everything... so why not about me?... I KNOW you know."

If Akira could cry, he would've at this very moment. It wasn't fair. He should've never even died in the first place, but his death getting labeled as suicide just crossed the line. "You'll take me to my body, now."

"Wh- Akira, it's been a MONTH..."

The wildcards were both very much aware that a month old corpse would've already decomposed, unless it was kept in ice... The thought of it made both of them sick.

But no matter what the brunette would've said, there was no way to change Akira's mind once it was settled on something. Even when he was completely dazed, his determination never faded.

There was just that one thing... That one thing he couldn't understand. Why would those people only keep a conference about someone's death after a 𝘮𝘰𝘯𝘵𝘩? And why was his family never informed about his 'suicide'? Did they just throw his case away in all the files since he was just some filthy criminal? And the most important thing - who was his killer?

It angered him. He was truly on the edge of snapping, but it wasn't like he could harm anyone or anything without harming himself.

Akechi noticed that anger as well, and since he was too afraid of the other to finally realize the truth and plan revenge, he obeyed and took him to the place where the corpses were kept, the mortuary.

In all honesty, they were actually both afraid. What if the body wasn't there anymore? Or what if it had really already decomposed...? At least nobody had planned a funeral, but Akira wasn't sure if he was glad or actually disappointed about that. Well, yeah, he never had the best relationship with his parents, but he thought they would've at least cared a bit.

𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸.

His thoughts quickly got interrupted by Akechi though, because he suddenly made a loud noise that somehow reminded the Noiret of a mouse, and he immediately turned to see what the matter was.

"What the HECK...", the detective then exclaimed, staring at the opening of one of the many storage spaces. But it wasn't just any opening, in fact, Akechi had just found Akira Kurusu's. And it wasn't how it should've been, because when he opened the small door that was used to keep the body cold and removed the white blanket covering it... the corpse looked the exact same way it was left in the interrogation room. It didn't make any sense, because normally the organs should've gotten removed from somebody, but they didn't. It seemed like nobody gave a single shit about what would happen to the corpse of a 'criminal'.

The sight of the motionless body made Goro even more sick than having to look at the half-alive ghost of his victim, and he wished he could've just left that building and throw up all day long. But Akira wouldn't have let him, because as soon as he managed to get a glance on his corpse, it looked like his eyes just widened greatly.

The detective didn't understand that excitement in the other's eyes, especially since the corpse really didn't look healthy. It looked even more horrible than the bruises, blood and injections on the ghost of him, but Akira seemed glad, ignoring the slight look of disgust on his face. "It's still there..! There's still a chance..."

"... Yeah, and it looks disgusting. And it smells weird here..."

"Wow. You didn't have to put it like that..."

"You saw what you wanted to see.", Goro then replied once again, fixing his tie in a slightly nervous manner. "Can we leave now?"

As much as he wanted to stay with his real body, the other had to agree. It wouldn't be too long until midday, and after that the phantom thief meeting was going to take place, so they decided to leave.

𝘖𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘹𝘵.