Chapter 4

"Hello!" I hollered, my voice echoing throughout the glass cell. "Anybody?!"

My chest felt like it was burning now. "Please, somebody!" It was tight and uncomfortable. I wasn't full-on yelling, I just raised my voice a bit. It's the best I can do since I'm not getting much air in or out. I didn't want to be here. To tell you the truth, if anyone else was put in this situation, they wouldn't want to be captivated here either. I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'm not trying to speak for anyone but generally, I think no one likes to be held in an unfamiliar room by strangers.

I didn't want to be here, so I wasn't. I turned invisible. And now I'm not here, well, technically I'm still here but not physically, I guess. "Hello!" I tried one more time but sure enough, I only heard silence. It didn't matter anyway. I wasn't made to survive this world. I wouldn't mind if I died here. I didn't care if I died of starvation, dehydration, or even boredom. It doesn't matter now and I could care less.

Back at Hydra, they used to lock me up for hours in my cell. I would yell and scream at them to let me out. And sometimes it would last days on end. They'd hit me if I was too loud but I didn't care. I barely could feel anything. They had stripped me from all my emotions, my pride, my confidence. Even my dignity.

"Please! It's been two days!" I yelled against the metal door. "Please! I need food!" I slid down the door, bringing my knees to my chest. I must've cried over one hundred times in that cell. All they would do to me was come and get me, bring me into their lab, inject me with their chemicals, study my reaction to them. If I acted badly, I'd get locked up until I settled down. Sometimes I couldn't control myself.

The experiments would end up with me killing some people and leaving many to punish me. If I was calm, they'd put more in me until I'd be out of control again. It seemed for a long time to be this endless cycle of pain and agony. I was their toy, their test subject and they'd mess me up, in the head and mentally.

I had to mature so young to get through those rough years of my life. And it was brutal. I felt so alone. I never saw another person my age there, only me and those men. Those horrifying men.

The sound of flicking a light switch suddenly brought me back to reality as I propped myself up on one elbow, high enough to see a figure enter the room. With the lights fully on, I saw their face. An unfamiliar face. A friendly-looking face though. Dressed in a suit, an average height, I watched as he looked my way as he brought his hand up to his ear.

"Hill, get down here," He said, leaving me in wonder as he stepped forward, looking further into the cell.

"Kid?" He called out and I stayed silent. "Are you still in there?" His voice sounds so calm, it made me feel suspicious about him.

I turned back so he could see me, causing him to flinch in fear as our eyes connected. He recovered quickly, bringing his hand up to his neck as he scratched it. "Ah, you're full of surprises, aren't you?" He tried to make conversation but I wasn't having any of it.

"When can I use the bathroom?" I asked, not taking my eyes off him as he shuffled.

"I don't know, Kid. I'm not in charge of this whole situation."

"Can you let me out?"

"No. I can't. Sorry." He sounded sincere. I sighed, sitting up and putting my legs into a criss-cross. I rubbed my eyes before looking up to see him watching me.

"Can I help you?" I asked him and he looked taken back surprisingly. "Why are you down here? Did someone send you to check on me?"

"Actually, yes. How did you-"

"I'm just guessing, it's not the first time..."

"... Right,"

We both were silent until the door clicked open, revealing a lady I've seen before. She eyed me suspiciously, making her way to the man.