Chapter 12

Third-person

Flying over the fishy thing, Bree landed on top of it. Sitting on its spine, she had let her wings go away into dust. Using her strength, she pressed her hands into it. Feeling the power in her chest go down to her hands, reaching the monster.

The electricity, rushing through her veins, making her heart race with adrenaline, her groaning turned into screams. The pain rising as Its power and her own were mixed and now connected. Which meant, she could control it. She smiled widely, feeling the magic set in, the feeling affecting her differently than ever before. This will be fun, she thought.

As Barton fought with his explosive arrows, Stark kept the strays off the streets.

"What else you got?" Stark asked Barton.

"Well, Thor's taking on a squadron down on sixth,"

"And he didn't invite me,"

"And a girl I see is riding one of the big boys. Is she on our side?"

Stark blinked. "What?" He looked over from the roars and saw Bree on top of one, looking kind of odd but seeming like she's having the time of her life. "Man, where did Fury find this kid,"

He saw her bring up her hand. "Anyone know where Hulk is?" He heard through the earpiece.

"Make a u-turn, kid," He said, watching her as she controlled the thing to turn around. He chuckled before flying after her.

Bree soon saw Hulk on her left. She turned the corner. "Hulk!" She called, getting his attention. "I got a present for you!" And before she could jump off, Hulk bashed its head in, causing Bree to fly forward and up into the air. Spinning, she couldn't become steady. She couldn't see ahead and prepared herself for the impact.

But instead, she felt strong metal arms wrap around her waist, feeling the cool wind blow her hair back. Her back pressing against a hard chest. She looked up to see Tony holding onto her as he flew back to the others.

"Hey, I was going to do a cool trick," She stated, grinning.

He glanced down. "Yeah, no you weren't, kid," He chuckled.

She held on. "You can let me go now, I can fly, you know," She reminded him.

Without a word, he let go and she soon soared with her wings, extending them widely.

"Scratch that kid, follow me," Stark ordered and Bree of course, obeyed. She narrowed her eyes as they flew towards another one of the big fishy boys. Bree heard Tony talking to his suit. "Jarvis, did you ever hear the tale of Joana?" He asked it. She couldn't hear its response but waited. Tony looked at Bree. "Kid, keep your distance," He said.

"What do you mean-" She said before realizing he already went right into the alien's mouth. She flew alongside as she could see the explosions from the inside, reaching the back. He burst out of its tail, crashing into a nearby bus stop. Going right through the glass and into slamming against a taxi. Bree flew down and picked him up just like before. Exhausted, Tony hung from her arms, adjusting them to wrap around his chest again.

"How the turntables," She said to him.

She heard him chuckle, lightly. "Shut up, kid,"

The pain in Bree's chest was worsening but she ignored it.

"Stark, you hear me?" Fury voice in the earpiece. They both heard. Tony was too tired to talk back so Bree did it for him. Holding him up with one hand, she brought her another one. "Fury, it's Phoenix, Stark is with me, what up?"

"You have a missile heading straight for the city,"

As Tony heard this, he reacted quicker. "How long?" He grunted while asking.

"Three minutes max," Fury stated.

"Jarvis put everything we got into the thrusters," Tony said to his suit before taking off out of Bree's arms.

*****

Bree

As Tony flew away to go and get the missile, I turned back to the portal. Contemplating if I should go.

You were sold for money. I needed to get it out. You were imprisoned by them. I needed to get rid of its pain. Treated like an animal. His voice. You were their toy. His thoughts. You were born to be broken. His feelings. And will die broken. I needed to go. Ignoring the urge to call in, I went. Flying up into the air which seemed miles above the city, I kept going and going. No regrets stopping my decision, I neared the portal.

And right before I entered it, I saw Stark coming with the nuke. But as I flickered my eyes forward, I was in, heading straight for the ship. My chest glowed brighter, blinding my eyes, I realized I wasn't slowing down. Maybe the nuke is going to be enough to blow it up, but I had to get rid of this thing inside me.

Flying at a speed I never knew I could go, I raised my hands, the power flowing down my arms. I blasted its energy towards the ship, hitting it instantly, it caught on fire. But it wasn't enough. I needed Tony. The quietness of this alternate universe made my anxiety increase. I felt my heart starting to pound. I needed more power.

Along with the energy I was giving out of my palms, I began to build it up in the chest. And let me tell you, it hurt like hell going through it. I screamed my heart out as the burning blue power blasted from my own chest. My entire self was trembling from the release.

The power had hit the ship, causing it to burst more into flames. I could feel it leaving my body. How it absorbed me. I tilted my head back more as I was coming closer. With hot tears running down my cheeks, I had let out one more push, releasing the last of it, I watched as the line of energy flew into the ship, causing the left side of it to burst.

Then I sensed something had entered the portal, with a force I looked over my shoulder to see Tony coming at me with the nuke, he flew almost as fast as I was going and soon had let go of the nuke.

He began to fall back towards the closing of the portal but I couldn't tell if he was going to make it. I turned myself around, using all the strength and energy I had left, I flew towards Tony.

When I caught up to him, I put my hand on his chest, and before he could react, I pushed him, using my super strength and he flew down faster than before. I was only right behind him as he left the portal but I, myself, wasn't so lucky this time. The portal closed before I could make it. I heard the nuke blow up the ship and dangerous forces coming towards me, faster than I was going. I knew, for sure, that I wasn't going to survive this time. With my eyes glued to the smoke cloud heading my way, I brought my hand up and tapped my earpiece.

"I'll say hi to Phil for you guys."

But before I'd let the explosion take me down, I tried one more thing. Knowing it probably wouldn't work and that my time was coming to an end within seconds, I had some faith left in me. Because Phil believed in me.

He believed that I could become more than what Hydra made me be. And with that thought in mind, I did one last cool trick.