Chapter 30

Landing on the platform, we all appeared to be back in the present. I was happy to see everyone there. "Did we get 'em all?" Bruce asked.

"Are you telling me this worked?" Rhodes asked, smiling. I laughed, looking at Tony as he smiled and Steve grinning. I could see everyone was surprised and excited but it all changed when Clint kneeled, staring ahead like he was soulless.

Everybody turned their heads, noticing the silence come to life.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce had asked but Clint didn't speak. The quietness was enough for his answer. Some people softly gasped while I froze in place. It felt surreal hearing it because it didn't feel like she was gone. I didn't know her that well, we've had one conversation in the past and shared a hug yet it still felt like I've known her for years. It felt like that with everyone here to me. I couldn't help but feel this emotional feeling take over. A single tear had fallen.

*****

Steve, Tony, Bruce, Thor, and Clint all went out for air on the peer a few yards away from Stark Industries. I stayed in the building, watching them from the window. Everyone else felt gloomy. I watched for too long because I ended up sitting on the floor, my back against the wall. I brought my knees up to my chest and pressed my forehead against my leg.

I couldn't think straight and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. Hearing that Natasha was dead reminded me of the time I found out about my mother, Anya.

It was when Fury first found me. Agent Hill was interrogating me and I was being difficult. Fury came in with the file and it had a picture of her. I wish I had the picture. She was so pretty to me when I was little. When we'd eat juice pops together on our back porch after coming back from Allentown. She'd sing to me and make me laugh.

My father was never a part of my life. I'd see him from time to time when I was young but then he stopped coming over when I was around six. My mom would say it was because he didn't love me. And I guess her love for me fainted with time too.

I sniffled loudly, wiping my tears with my wrist. I miss her.

"What are you still doing here, kid?"

I looked up to see Scott standing in front of me, hands in his pockets while I could see the sorrow in his eyes.

I cleared my throat, avoiding them. "What do you want, pinto bean?" I said, bluntly to him. He's been rude to me for no reason the whole time I've been here so why should I be nice to him.

"Why don't you just go home, kid. Where are your parents? Aren't they worried?"

I glared. "You don't know anything about me,"

"Okay, that doesn't answer my question at all,"

I stayed quiet, trying to contain myself.

"You know, if you were my daughter, you wouldn't be anywhere near all of this-"

"Well, I'm not!" I blurted out. "My parents are dead, Reese's pieces. So no, I can't go home because I don't have one,"

His expression changed immediately. The guilt was written all over his face. "How did they-" I beat him to it.

"Will you stop prying me, Scott? I don't know if you can tell but it's not the best time to do doing this right now,"

"Then-"

"No. Just stop. Leave me alone."

He sighed, giving me one last look before he walked away. My eyes followed him until he was gone.

Tony said not to let our emotions get the best of us and certainly to not leech out at innocent people.

Yet I couldn't control it. Scott has been nothing but a brat to me. I was hurt, everyone was. And he decides to still interrogate me and tell me what to do just because I'm a kid.