Chapter 23

Third-person

That same day, Tony thought about their conversation until nighttime. He was doing the dishes when a picture of him and Peter caught his attention. He paused before picking it up. Peering down at it, his mind went back to him. Missing the kid.

***

Bree

You have days.

Before it, all goes-

I could hear conflict coming from all around me and when I opened my eyes, I realized I was in the middle of a battle. The stones were glowing like crazy and that's when I knew, it had to be-

I sat up as I began to cough aggressively. I held my chest, catching my breath. My eyes adjusted to the darkness around me. And it was pitch black, I couldn't see what was around me yet when I looked to the side, I spotted a light coming from possibly across the lake. I got my coughing under control, standing up to see more of the light. Then I remembered, Tony. He's there. He's in that house. He's there.

Jumping up, I summoned my wings and began to fly but as soon as my body took off, my entire body's energy decreased, causing my wings to go into shock. I broke the surface of the calm lake, going under the water. I breathed out, letting huge amounts of air leave my lungs. I sunk further down, feeling my muscles tighten even more.

The pain from my arm had come back and was nipping at the rest of my body. But I had to push through it. Attempting to swim up, I kicked my feet against the water.

I felt my chest becoming tighter, my lungs burned as I held my breath longer. I banged my head and hands against the glass, I tried to scream but I kept losing more air.

I kicked the glass as hard as I could. I knew they wanted to see me go down but I had to fight back.

I snarled, making more bubbles float up. I couldn't let myself. I couldn't let my past get to me, not like this. Swimming up, I had reached the surface and gasped while coughing as water slipped down my throat. My limbs ached as I treaded, I kept looking around until I saw the light coming from the cabin.

Without a second thought, I swam in its direction. My body needed the desire for rest and sleep, I pushed all my needs away and swam further until I came across the firm object. No, a peer. I found a cold metal bar and used it to pull myself up.

And before I knew it, I was standing up, gazing ahead at the light as I caught my breath. I was close enough to see that the light lit part of the cabin, making it easier to approach it.

Walking off the peer and onto some dirt, I strolled up to the porch but stopped.

***

Third-person

He went into his office, talking to his AI about his idea. "I did a mod inspiration, let's see if it checks out. So I can run one last sim before we pack it in for the night. This time in the shape of a Mobius strip inverted please," He told the AI, stepping off to the side.

"Processing," The AI affirmed.

Tony watched as the contraption came together. Missing a few parts, he fixed it, analyzing. "Give me that. I can value that particle factoring in spectral decomp. That'll take a second," He said, take a swing of water. "Just a moment," The AI said, putting everything together.

"And don't worry if it doesn't pan out, I'm just kind of-" he trailed off, focusing his eyes as it assembled.

"Model rendered," The AI confirmed as it stated, ''Model Successful.''