Chapter 8

Loki had been put in the same glass cell I was in before. Fury suggested I'd come with him during this which I didn't question. As the doors of the cell compressed and the locks engaged, Fury took the lead while I stayed behind and observed. "In case it's unclear," he began, looking down at the screen. "You try to escape, you so much as scratch that glass," he pressed a button, opening the floor underneath the cell. Wings whooshing from it. "30,00 thousand feet straight down in a steel trap," his voice raised over the strong winds. "You get how that works?" Fury stated before closing it back up.

I leaned forward to him. "You weren't planning on doing that to me at the time, right?" I asked him yet he ignored me. Typical.

"Ant, boot,"

Loki chuckled. "It's an impressive cage," he smirked, stepped back, taking in his surroundings, or so it looked like. "Not built, I think, for me."

"Built for something a lot stronger than you," Fury corrected.

"Oh, I've heard." Loki then looked right into the camera. "A mindless beast. Makes play he's still a man. How desperate are you to call such lost creatures to defend you?"

"How desperate am I?" Fury's voice sounded cold and rough. He began taking steps towards the glass. "You threatened my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

"Ooh. It burns you to have come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what?" He smiled widely, making my stomach turn.

"A warm light that mankind to shared. And then to be reminded of what real power is."

Fury stood in silence for a moment before walking away from the cell while I followed behind.

"Well, let me know if real power wants a magazine or something." Fury said before we left the room.

As we walked, we spoke.

Walking by his side now, I asked him, "So what'd you want me to come with you again?"

"I wanted you to see him in his disturbing state,"

I furrowed my brow. "Uh- why- you know what? I don't really care. All that matters is that I'm leav-"

The sound of Stark's voice caught my attention, we approached their conference room on the upper floor of the base. Coming into my view, I saw Stark with Dr. Banner.

"Dr. Banner is only here to track the cube," Fury spoke up, leaving me behind as I stepped back. "I was hoping you might join him," Fury looked over at Stark.

"I would start with that stick of his," Steve said from his seat. "It may be magical but it works an awful lot like a hydra weapon,"

My head lowered at his words. Hydra. They're the ones who gave me my powers. Back when I was their test subject. I folded my arms, leaning against the back wall.

"I don't know about that but it is powered by the cube," Fury said. "And you'd like to know how Loki used it to turn two of the sharpest men I know into his flying monkeys."

"Monkeys," the big man with the hammer said. "I do not understand."

But Rogers stepped in. "I do." I watched Stark roll his eyes in comedic effect. "I understood that reference."

For myself, I contemplated on leaving and finally decided it was time. But attempting to walk away from the group wasn't going to happen as I heard Fury's voice come into play.