Chapter 31

Third-person

It had been a few minutes before Bruce and Bree's conversation had ended. Bruce headed inside while the rest of the team began to discuss who would wear the gauntlet.

"All right, the glove's ready," Rocket had confirmed. "Question is, who's gonna snap their freakin' fingers?" Rocket asked.

Thor stepped up. "I'll do it,"

"Excuse me?" Tony said.

"It's okay," Thor assured.

"No, no. Stop, stop. Slow down," Tony rambled his words as Thor talked over him.

"Wait, Thor," Steve pushed him back, lightly. "Just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet,"

Thor breathed out heavily. "I'm sorry. What, we're all just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?"

Scott piped in. "We should at least discuss it,"

Thor faced him. "Look, sitting here staring at the thing is not gonna bring everybody back," He turned to everyone. "I'm the stronger Avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls upon me. It's my duty,"

"Normally, you're right," Tony stated, pushing Thor back until he got fussy.

"Stop it! Just let me."

"Hey, buddy," Tony tried to calm the situation.

Thor gripped Tony's hand. "Just let me do it," he pleaded. "Just let me do something good. Something right,"

"Look, it's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent. I'm telling you. You're in no condition,"

"What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor asked him.

"Cheez Whiz?" Rhodes jokes, making Thor glare his way before returning to Tony. "Lightning."

"Yeah," Tony was not impressed nor surprised.

The clicking sound of a door shutting caught everyone's attention to see Bruce walking in. "Lightning won't help you, pal," he stated. "Tony, there's something I gotta tell you,"

"Well, I bet it can wait," Tony moved away from Thor and to Bruce. "Where's Bree? Did you talk to her?" He asked him, sounding like a worried parent.

"She's fine, Tony. She just had to go somewhere," Bruce saw his mood change very quickly.

"She's gone? Where? Where did she go?"

"I don't know but she said it was important,"

"Well, important or not, we need her back here, pronto," He demanded, bringing his hand up to tap the earpiece. "Bree, it's Tony. You need to come back right now. Do you copy?"

The room was silent.

Tony was being impatient. "Bree, do you copy?"

Bruce then changed the subject back to the gauntlet. "It's gotta be me. You saw what those stones did to Thanos. They almost killed him. None of you could survive,"

"How do we know you will?" Steve asked.

"We don't," Bruce said. "But the radiation's mostly gamma. It's like ... I was made for this,"

*****

Bree

Minutes before

With the cold Pennsylvania breeze blowing in my face, I admired what was in front of me. The house still looked the same. Only the walls were painted a new coat of blue and there some new trees planted out on the lawn.