Chapter 14, Part 2: The Return to Evolve

Third-person

Things began to feel different as the years went on. With no Bree, the Avengers continued their battles. But her disappearance left some people on the rocks, and in the wonder of who she was. She left a mystery. And Tony Stark was still interested. He studied her past life, with his advanced technology, coding and research, he found thousands of documents.

He had read how she was a subject and was sold by her parents to Hydra. They took her in and made her their test monkey. His questions were answered but his happiness was unsatisfied. He spent the first few weeks after Loki's attack on New York researching and reading everything under her name. He found things that were interesting and things he didn't need to.

He had found several videos on the day-to-day tests they would do to her. Videos of the men outside her cell and going in it. He wondered what happened in that very cell yet he couldn't imagine it. He had learned things about her that he wouldn't ever ask for.

He started in the wonder of what he might find and left scarred from what he found. He understood now why she never talked or was rude most days. She couldn't trust anyone. She couldn't relax. She wouldn't give up any information about her. When he saw her birthdate, he took a deep breath, staring at the date for the longest time.

He thought about how she lost her life at a young age, how she never experienced being a normal teenager, how she never got the love and care you need as a child. It brought him karma and shame, thinking about what he could've done at the moment. He could've grabbed her hand, she could've gone through with him but she saved him. But he always wondered why.

October 1995. Seventeen, not fifteen. A young adult. He felt ashamed and guilty for months. He kept having nightmares and dreams about her. Alternate situations where he'd grab her and pull her through, she'd be killed in front of him, or people shaming him for his mistakes. It haunted him for years.

He wouldn't have them every night but occasionally they would come back. He thought about the moments before the missile, how she helped him fight.

He remembered her smile and the many times she carried him using her wings. He would be mad at himself for not taking in the moments better but he knew there was nothing he could do. She was gone and has been gone for quite some time.

He still thinks about her from time to time, wishing they would have talked more. But he had to let it go and move on. He knew he couldn't keep dwelling on the past when he needed to focus on the future. Peter Parker needed him and he was his distraction.

And he made that decision in 2017, a year before everything had occurred.