Chapter 13

Third-person

Tony made it through but wasn't conscious. Now falling out of the sky, the others smile, seeing him alive.

When they realized he wasn't slowing down, Thor began to whip around his hammer to get him but Hulk had beaten him to it. Catching Tony before he'd hit the ground, Hulk protected him by landing and sliding against the concrete. He pushed him off getting up as the others ran over.

Turning him over, Thor ripped off the face part of his suit. And they all looked at him as his eyes were closed. They stepped back, feeling the sorrows of another loss kick in. Yet Hulk didn't like that. He roared loud enough to wake Tony up, in a panic.

Hulk roared even more as he saw him alive.

"What the hell," Tony said, his eyes looking around. "What just happened?" His eyes, getting wider. "Please tell me nobody kissed me," he looked at Rogers and he looked off to the side. "We won," He confirmed, sending Tony to relax for a second but then he remembered.

"Wait," he said as everyone's eyes were on him. His eyes looking upward. "Bree, she just..." he paused in disbelief. Realizing what she did. For him.

"What about her?" Rogers asked him.

"She saved me..." Tony started. "She pushed me so that I could go through," he met Rogers' hopelessly worried gaze. He looked up at the sky. They all did.

Then a choppy noise came through on all their earpieces. Making them be quiet, they listened.

"It's Bree,"

"What-"

"Shh!"

All of them listen to her voice one last time. It wasn't clear and it was very choppy but they all knew and could hear it. They all stood in silence before Rogers reported to Fury.

"Phoenix is down," he said, slowly in sadness.

With a depression feeling lingering around them, they knew they had to continue with their mission.

*****

Loki surrendered to the Avengers, and they took care of him. Thor took Loki and the tesseract with them back to Asgard, where it would be safe and hidden from any of them. Stark and Banner drove off together as the science buddies they are while Romanoff and Barton went their separate ways. Rogers, on his own, and Fury back on his ship with Agent Hill by his side.

"Sir, how does it work now?" Hill asked as they both walked up to the window. "They've gone their separate ways. Some pretty, extremely far. We get into a situation like this again, what happens then?"

He glanced at her. "They'll come back,"

"You sure about that?"

"I am."

Hill stopped as Fury gazed out the window. "Why?"

"Because we'll need them to," He said, firmly yet with a soft tone.

And with that, Agent Hill nodded and walked away, leaving Fury alone. He didn't know what would happen next but he knew they had the avengers to deal with whatever did.

But little did he know that the battle had just begun and that the girl who was once a nobody would rise again.