Chapter 21

Bree

I wondered why the universe gave me this second chance. Because I never would've thought I'd end up in a situation like this.

I'm overthinking this whole thing. What if I land somewhere completely different from where I wanted to go? What if it doesn't take me to Tony? I couldn't think. I couldn't even see what was going on around me. I felt like I was falling again. Every time I tried to open my eyes, I couldn't.

My eyelids felt heavier than usual. I didn't want to worry about the risks of being in here again. I survived the first time, so I hoped I could do it again. I was surprised I was awake the whole time. I guess the last time was much too for my body but now I think with the stones, they're giving me more protection.

I knew I didn't feel normal. They changed something inside me but I needed to ignore that for now because I suddenly felt myself falling against high winds. I could feel my hair blowing in it and like crazy. I squinted my eyes open and soon widened them to realize that I was no longer in the portal.

I flipped myself over in the air to see the scenery from down below. A forest of trees is what I saw. I narrowed my eyes, thinking, what the hell? Was the portal wrong?

I made my wings appear and let myself glide against the wind and soar down to the ground. I landed amongst the thick trees. Looking around, I saw nothing but the trees. I didn't know where to go or what this meant. Were my portals trying to riddle me? Cause it's not funny.

I walked around for a while, looking to see if there were any signs of life nearby but I found nothing. I took to the skies and looked from above but still saw no life.

My never-ending searching led me to panic. My portal didn't take me to Tony, I don't know where I am and I don't know what to do. Back on the ground, I rested, sitting down on a log, I ran my fingers through my hair. Sighing in somewhat of a defeat, I tried to think.

I looked down at my hand with the stones and stared at them. They weren't glowing yet they were changing the color of my skin to a very dark blue. It was unsettling to even look at, my skin looked dead and unhealthy. My veins were black and disturbing looking. I cringed at my arm and stopped thinking about it. It wasn't hurting me at the moment but I knew it would in the future.

Just then, I felt my veins start to twitch, catching my attention. Their black color was turning a dark blue as the stones began to glow. They were pumping something down my arm and to my shoulder. My entire body went stiff as I felt it going up to my head. Up to my neck and my jaw, I clenched it, snarling when the pain hit my brain. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to hold back a scream.

But the pain had stopped, and when I opened my eyes, I saw and felt my hand moving on its own. My pointer fingers had pointed to the left of me. My eyes widened as I was stunned. I wasn't holding my arm up, I wasn't controlling it at all. It was all the magic. And the stones in guessing. My arm fell and hung, hitting my side. I stared down at it, wondering what just happened but looked in the direction that it pointed.

With hesitation, I began to walk to the left of me. I walked and walked through the thick trees, seeing wildlife now and then, I kept going until I came across a lake. A fairly big lake might I add. I walked up to it, one foot away from being in the water, and scanned the place.

Across from the lake, I saw a cabin. A nice-looking one too. I stared at it for a while, contemplating what I should do. But with quick reflexes, I hid behind a nearby tree at the appearance of a man. I watched as he walked out from the cabin and out to his side of the lake. I examined the man, feeling a connection to him. I looked at him more and that's when I saw him. I recognized him. It was him. He looked older but in a good way. I felt my heart quicken as my eyes started to feel glossy.

"Tony," I said to myself yet I started to couch. I felt pain rushing through my body, mostly by hand with the stones. I peered down at it as I saw that my whole hand was gray. I closed my eyes, clenching my teeth, I groaned. I gasped for air, suddenly feeling my throat getting tighter. I collapsed onto the ground, now facing the sky as I wheezed. I grabbed my throat, using my powers, I tried to fix it, make it go away. But I backed out before I could do anything.