Chapter 5: Zemo

Y/N's POV:

I woke up the same hour I always do, 5:30am. I don't do it on purpose but I guess the surgeon inside me still doesn't need much sleep. After all when I was a surgeon and an agent I only slept four hours. That was enough back then and it's enough now.

Most times I don't sleep at all. I still get nightmares, falling into the rubble and no one finding me. Or Ally, my best friend, dying in front of me, calling my name and blaming me because I couldn't save her.

Sometimes it's her and sometimes it's the little girl I used to visit on the civilian wing with cancer. Her body was found three days later under rubble and bricks.

Her name was Dai. She was 7. Loved reading.

Usually, I would wake up with a sore throat, presumably from screaming, and a puddle of my own sweat. I decided that was enough moping around. The real work starts today.

So, I got up, let my hair loose, then I went to the bathroom to shower, brush my teeth and do my simple morning skin care routine.

I wonder if Bucky still gets nightmares. He probably does. I remember when he stayed with me for those three weeks, he would get them every night. The only thing that would calm him down was chamomile tea.

At first, when I would wake him from his nightmares he would attack. But I always managed to keep him under control, at least until he remembered were and with who he was with.

After putting on my green knitted sweater that had my initial on it and baggy dark jeans, I made my way downstairs.

Bucky's POV:

I woke up and glanced at my watch to see it was 7:10am. I don't think I've ever slept like that.

Back at my apartment I would sleep on the floor because beds are too comfortable. It's like a marshmallow and I feel like I'm sinking to ground. The weird thing I didn't get any nightmares.

Groaning I laid my head back on the pillow. Gosh it smells so good. Smells like Y/N's perfume. It may sound weird but, it's calming. And apparently easy to fall asleep to.

I heard movement upstairs so I got up and put my belt on, considering I slept in my t-shirt and jeans because the only thing I brought was a spare shirt and underwear. Then I went up to the kitchen where I was greeted by the sight of Y/N making breakfast on the stove. Her hair was loose and gently draped over her shoulders. The morning sunlight shined on her skin. She looked stunning. How can she look so perfect? It reminded me of...well, nevermind.

Y/N's POV:

After a while, I went downstairs I started making breakfast nothing to big, just some simple scrambled eggs and toast.

Me and Bucky went to sit down at the dining table and Sam joined moments later.

"Can I ask you a few questions?" Sam asked.

Bucky glared at him.

"Shoot" I said. This will be interesting.

"If you worked for S.H.I.E.L.D and worked with The Avengers how come I never heard of you?"

"Well that's good, right? Isn't that the point of being a secret agent?"

"Good point."

Bucky continued eating and listening.

"What happened to your arm.....?"

That made me drop my fork and freeze a little.

"Sam!" Bucky shouted as a warning

"It's fine." I returned my gaze to Sam.

"Covert research facility disguised in a hospital. Apparently not-so covert. A couple of RPG 32's took it down and my unit went along with it. So did most of the patients and my hand. We never knew what hit us. Could have been Hydra or the rebel groups of the area." I gave him a tight lip pressed smile and looked back down at my plate.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have-"

"Like I said, It's fine. I'm over it." No I'm not. I just can finally talk about it without breakdown then and there.

"We have a problem" Bucky said looking up to the both of us.

"Only one?" I snorted.

"Y/N-"

"No, I know. We don't have any leads."

We all glanced back to our plates and continued eating.

"Well, I have some friends in Italy who can help out if she's staying in Europe"

"I think I might have something... if she's dealing with super soldier serums, he's our best bet..."

"Bucky, NO" Sam warned.

"Who are you guys talking about?" I asked.

"Somebody who knows more about those serums than us..." Bucky said.

"Baron Helmut Zemo" Sam said with pure venom.

"What?! Absolutely not!" I stood up from the table.

"You know him?" Bucky asked.

"Oh yeah! We're old buddies! We play poker Wednesday nights!" Sarcasm dripping from every word.

"You want to know how I know him? We've crossed paths. He tried to kill me; you know? The usual."

"We don't have another choice" Bucky tried to reason with us. "We can't let the serums fall into the wrong hands!"

"Listen to me Barnes and listen well-" I pointed my finger at him.

"-There is no such thing as super soldier serums in the right hands. Those things should be destroyed!!"

"Says the girl with super soldier serum." Bucky said and I can tell he was losing patience.

"Yeah and look how I paid the price Barnes. The people who don't want to weaponize me, want to kill me. The very few people who don't, run mafias or are on the run just like me. I didn't want to take the serum, but it was either taking it myself or it was getting in the hands of someone who won't use it for pain tolerance or to move heavy boxes or the stupid health benefits. And no. destroying it wasn't an option, I tried. "

God, I really hate lying.