Chapter 7: Hypothetical

Y/N's POV

I knew the trigger words didn't work on him anymore. He wouldn't have helped Sam if they would have. Still, you could clearly see his fists and jaw clenched. Looking at Zemo as if looks could kill, although he would have been 10 feet under. Sure, I hate the creep, he tried to kill me, but I don't have such a tragic story like Bucky has. I'm grateful for that.

"Those days are over now" Bucky calmy said.

"I know. I just wanted to see how the new you reacts to the old words." He steps right in front of the barrier.

"Something is still in there. At least you were not conscious for most of your imprisonment."

"That time wasn't exactly a picnic."

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry. It was never personal. You were simply a means to a necessary end."

"Let's cut to the chase shall we?" I said. I want to get this over with as soon as I can. I cant stand to see Zemo's smug face any longer or I might just kill him.

"Someone recreated the super-soldier serum." Bucky added.

This made his head perk up. Interest now are we?

"We need to find out who." Bucky said, keeping his poker face on. We. I don't think I've ever heard him say 'we'.

"You are assuming HYDRA has something to do with this, which is why you came me, which means you are desperate." He pointed a finger at us.

"Maybe not" I said.

"Luckily for you, I know where to begin." He ignored me. Again. Asshole.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Now we were walking through a huge garage of some sorts, the only light coming from our flashlights.

"What are you talking about? You want to break Zemo out of jail?!" I whisper shouted at the super soldier.

"Where the hell are we Buck? Have you lost your mind?" Sam agreed with me. That's got to be a first.

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing." He simply stated.

"What about my connection that has connections in Interpol?" I reminded him.

"Exactly, what we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars." Sam agreed. Again. Oh yeah, it's definitely the end times. (get it?)

"And we also have eight super-soldiers who are loose." Bucky retorted.

"Nine. Get your facts straight." I said.

"Huh?" he shot me a confused look.

"Did you forget I also have the super-serum? And that I know the serums existed long before you did?"

"Look, Zemo's gonna mess with our minds. Especially yours. No offense."

He was right. Again. I don't like this.

Then we came to a halt. Bucky pulled what apparently was a lever that turned on the lights. Once we turned off the flashlights we all looked at each other.

"Offense. Super soldiers go against everything he believes in. He is crazy, but he still has a code." And with that he walked past us.

"I've been on the wrong side of that code, Buck, and so have you."

"I'm not one with agreeing, but birdman has a point. Buck, he blew up the UN, he killed King T'Chaka and framed you for it!" I said raising my voice a little.

"Did you forget? You think the Wakandans forgot about it? It's a rhetorical question. They didn't."

"I know why this matters to you, but it's pushing you off the deep end." I tried to reason with him. Obviously not my strong suit.

"Y/N we don't know how they're getting the serum. We don't even know how many of them there are! Look, let me just walk you through a hypothetical. Can I?"

"What did you do?" my voice, filled with warning and slight panic. This is not good. Last time he walked me through a hypothetical, he burned down half of my kitchen and we had to move.

"I didn't do anything." His face said it all. For an ex-assassin, he sure is a terrible liar.

Then he started talking. This will be bad and I just know it.

"The weakest point in any system isn't the software, the hardware, it's the meat ware. The human element. Now, in this lockup, its nine to one, prisoners to guards. And if two prisoners start fighting, then the protocol says four guards have to respond. "

"So why would two prisoners randomly start fighting at that moment?" I decided to play along. Let's see down which rabbit hole this will take me too this time.

"Who knows, there could be many reasons. But the point is, these things escalate. Lockdown procedures would have to be initiated and with all those bodies flying around left and right, wouldn't be hard to slip down a hallway or two. And if the fire alarm got tripped while the prisoners were being separated... someone could use the chaos to their advantage."

"Slow down there Spencer Reid. I don't like how casual you're being about this. This is unnatural. Are you- and where are we man?"

A door opened. And guess who walked through?

"Speak of the devil" I glared at both men.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, hey- what are you doing here?!" Sam shouted.

"THE HELL WERE YOU THINKIN' BARNES?!"

"Listen, I didn't want to tell you 'cause I knew you wouldn't let this happen." Bucky said trying to calm us both down."

"Don't you think maybe there's a reason for that?! I snapped back.

"WhAt did you dO?!" Sam said, his voice in a whisper shout.

"We need him." Bucky stated.

"Your going back to prison!" I shouted at the psychopath starting to walk towards him but Bucky stepped in front of me and held my shoulders so I didn't murder the man in front of me.

"I- If I may-" Creep-o started.

"NO!" the three of shouted in unison.

"Apologies" he raised his hands in surrender.

"When Steve refused to sign the Sokovia Accords, you backed him, you broke the law, and you stuck your neck out for me" then he turned to me, "-and when I was on the run you so did you. I'm asking you both to do it again."

"I really think I'm invaluable-" Creep-o started once again.

"Shut up" I looked at him and he looked down. "Fine. Don't make me regret this Buck."

"Ok." Sam agreed. "If we do this, you don't make a move without our permission." He looked back at Creep-o.

"Fair." He acknowledged.

"Alright Creep-o, where do we start?" This is a terrible idea, what could go wrong?