Chapter 15: Life

Y/N's POV:

"What?" he spoke furrowing his eyebrows.

"Think about it, I've gone to every possible art smuggler in Madripoor, and I know all the big dealers except the Power Broker.

"You broke our sweet little moment, which I've been waiting for ever since I last saw you, for that?"

"Look, I'm sorry. It just clicked and this is also important." I gave him an incredulous look.

"Fine. But I don't believe you." He had an annoyed expression.

"Hear me out! Who has that much security in Madripoor? How did she get her hands on so many original paintings? She made the leader of the Italian mafia disappear without a trace! Also, why so secretive?" I argued.

"You're secretive!" he retorted.

"Touché, Barnes. But you get my point."

"Ok, what if she is the Power Broker? Why is that such a big deal?"

"Why? Because the Selby and I owed the Power Broker. Selby's dead. And I bet all my money she ordered it."

"Sharon wouldn't-"

"The Power Broker orders these all the time. Why do you think people are deadly afraid of stepping foot in Madripoor, especially High Town? It's a rhetorical question. If you get on the wrong side of the Power Broker or her associates, you're a dead man walking."

He looked down deep in thought. I stood up, done with this conversation, to get myself another drink considering how we downed the half-bottle we drank from.

"Remember the man who recreated the serum? Wilfred Nagel? I tracked him across half of the planet. He was working on the Winter Soldier Program after you left hydra." I poured myself another drink. "How do you think he ended up in Madripoor? The only people who knew of his existence and his work with the serums was shield and hydra, maybe top levels of the CIA. I studied that man; he wouldn't last a day in here without the Power Broker's protection."

"I -I don't believe you." His tone was frustrated.

"Don't or won't?" I snapped, my throat hoarse because of the drink i just downed a little too quickly.

"I cant."

Oh yeah, shit's about to go down.

"You little-"

"She helped us Y/N! She is currently helping us I-" He stood up and throwed his hands in the air.

"Is she? Or is it just a trick to collect her debt and get revenge on you?" I slammed the empty cup on the mini bar. I was getting impatient and you could tell by the tone of my voice.

"Why would she ever do that?"

"I don't know, maybe it's the fact that I owe her money, and I'm not talking about a twenty-dollar bet. More like something along the lines of 50 grand. Or maybe it's the fact that she hasn't been home in over six years because of helping you! I don't know Barnes, enlighten me!" my voice getting louder with each sentence.

"Don't take that tone with me, just five minutes ago everything was fine! Sharon wouldn't." his voice was stern.

"A person can change a lot in a few years, Barnes." I looked down, lowering my tone. "I'm not the same person I was five years ago."
"...What happened after i left, Y/N?"

"Life."