Chapter 17: Glass

Y/N'Ds POV:

"We know you created the super-soldier serum." Sam said.

"Get out of my lab." Nagel started to walk out but stopped when he saw Bucky.

"Hey!" Sam went behind him. "You know who he is, right?" he looked towards the ex-soldier. Then he turned to Zemo. "This is Baron Zemo. I know you've heard of him, too, right?"

He stayed silent.

"What about her?" he pointed to me.

Nagel's gaze dropped and his breathing became jagged. Signs of nervousness

"You seem like a pretty smart guy." Sam started while pushing the doctor towards the wall. "So you better become conversational real quick."

"How about a counter proposal? Make me a better offer and I'll talk." He replied, leaning on the wall he was pushed against.

"How about instead, I ask the questions and you give me answers? It's not the first time we've been in this position before, Nagel. But this time I don't have SHIELD holding me back. So I suggest you get cooperative before I get impatient." I finally spoke pointing my gun directly at his head.

"Guys, we have a company." Sharon said through the comms. I looked at Sam, then Bucky.

Silence.

"That's it." I pulled the trigger, hitting a chair next to him. He jumped, startled.

"Ok. Ok." He shakily said. "I was brought into HYDRA's Winter Soldier program to pick up their work after the five failed subjects in Siberia. When HYDRA failed, I was recruited by the CIA. They had blood samples from an American test subject with semi-stable traces of serum in his system."

Sam looked at Bucky. Am I missing something?

"After much labor," Nagel continued "I was able to isolate the necessary compounds in his blood. I was a god. I did what no other scientist since Erskine was able to do. But mine was going to be different. No clunky machines or jacked up bodies. Mine was going to be subtle, optimized, perfect. Your friend pointing the gun to my head is living proof of how well it worked."

"How have we never heard about this?" Sam asked.

I looked down. I knew about this and never told anyone. Now I'm dealing with the consequences.

"Because... before I was able to complete my work, I turned to dust. Then when I returned, it was five years later, program had been abandoned, so I came here. The Power Broker was more than happy to fund the recreation of my work. Besides, you did know about this. One of you at least.

"How many vials did you make?" I asked, ignoring his last statement.

Twenty-one. Karli Morgenthau stole all of them, except the one, the one Agent Y/L/N got her hands on. I can only imagine what the Power Broker has planned for that poor girl."

I tensed.

I haven't heard that title in a long time. The idea to put a bullet through his skull seemed more tempting every time he spoke. But I knew deep down I wouldn't pull the trigger to kill unless he attacked me, that's just the person I am.

"Where's Karli now?" Sam asked.

"I don't know where she is. But a couple of days ago, she called."

"Why?" I pressed, still using my poker face and intimidating tone at their best.

"Asked if I could help someone named Donya Madani. Poor woman has tuberculosis. Typical of overpopulation in displacement camps like that."

"Well, what happened to her?" Sam continued.

"Not my pig. Not my farm."

This little sociopath I swear to god-

"Is there any serum in this lab?" bucky interrupted my thoughts.

He didn't answer so I pushed his head tighter with my gun.

"Answer. Nagel." I demanded.

"No." he shakily said.

"Great, now what?" I asked the men accompanying me.

"Guys, we're seriously out of time here." Sharon came in running.

Before either of us could blink, Zemo shot Nagel, making him fall off the chair where we had him.

"No!" Sam shouted and pushed Zemo against the nearest wall.

"What did you do?" Sharon asked, seemingly nervous.

BOOOM!!

A blast interrupted us. We were all thrown in different directions. I shielded my face the best I could, but then my hands couldn't break my fall.

Fire and shards of glass everywhere. The smell of smoke and chemicals filled the air along with the sound of alarms blaring like crazy.

Then I realized what caused the blast. An RPG grenade launcher. What did I ever do to those things?

My vision started to become blurry and my eyes closed.

Then it started to come back.

Everything.

Lying in the rubble.

Pain in my arm.

Fire.

Smoke.

Glass.

Then I started to hear a faint voice yelling my name. It was Bucky. I struggled to keep my eyes open again but I saw him looking for me. Then he realized I was still laying on floor, unable to move.

"Y/ ! Oh my God!" he came running towards me and kneeled beside me, cradling my head and back into his arms.

"We need to get out of here, ok? I'm gonna carry you but you have to stay awake for me please." He begged. 

My vision was still blurry butt I could see his eyes watering up a little. He was truly worried.

He cared.

He picked me up and all of us headed for the stairs just in time as the container where we were exploded.

Then I started to become more awake as I felt some stinging in my bicep area on my left arm.

There was a big shard of glass embedded in my arm.

Great.