Chapter 13: A Little Game

Y/N's POV:

Nobody spoke a word. The room was eerie silent with everyone's gaze fixed on me. I suddenly became very aware of my clothing and quickly started to fiddle with my nails, a habit I do every time I feel anxious.

I told Sharon this dress was too short and tight. Luckily it wasn't to revealing, but it was definitely not something I'm used to wearing.

"You look-" Bucky started, kinda spaced out.

"Amazing." Sam finished.

"Thank you" I blushed at his kind words.

"Alright" Sharon began, "the party is starting, I hope to see you all down there. Enjoy." And with that, she left.

"Let's go then." I said, quite unsure of myself. I used to love parties, gatherings, and whatnot, but I haven't been at a party like this in more than five years that wasn't solely for business. Now I'm not so sure about the whole thing.

The boys went first, I took one last glance in the mirror and also made my way downstairs.

As I walked down, I noticed everything. The people, guards, exits, alcohol beverages and such. It was incredibly loud.

Music blasting everywhere.

Sweat and drinks filling the ambience.

Hell nah.

I did a full 360 before bumping into a wall. Wait. Walls don't wear expensive suits.

I looked up; my hands still pressed against his chest. His arms around my waist, preventing me from falling.

It was Bucky.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there." I said trying to play it cool. Play it cool. Breathe. I don't know about that last one but I sure as hell could feel him breathing.

"No, it was my fault, I- I didn't pay attention." Stuttering? The ladies man? Stuttering? That's right, Bucky told me how he would always catch the ladies' attention back in the 40s.

"It's alright, I was on my way back."

"Really? Me too. How about a drink in a little more quiet?" He suggested, after all, he does know about my occasional anxiety.

"That sounds lovely." I lightly smile at him.

We went back upstairs without another word. But it wasn't an uncomfortable silence. Quite the contrary actually, calming.

We made it to the common room where we were before, I sat down and Bucky went to get us some drinks. He came back with a bottle of whiskey and two glasses and sat down next to me.

"So, did anything change since the last time I saw you?" he asked, pouring our drinks.

"Meh." I simply shrugged.

"What does that mean?"

"How about this; we ask each other questions and if we don't want to answer, we take a shot. Sound good?"

"Fair enough."

"Great. You can start."

"Ok, when did you find out about the new serums?"

"A couple of months ago, maybe 8 or 9?"

"Ok, your turn."

"Where did you get the new arm?"

"You know i could say the same right? Last time i checked your arm was silver like mine used to be." He shot back.

"No-uh. You first."

"Friends in Wakanda." He stated.

"You have friends?" I snorted, playfully.

"Ha ha. Ok, seriously tho, your arm."

"Ok, ok. Its the same one. I was tired of the silver and it stood out much. I tried plain black, but it was too-"

"Plain?"

"Yep. So i added the blue. I was thinking about changing the blue to green actually."

"Thats nice. Your turn."

"Whats the deal with you and Sam? You guys are the weirdest partners i have ever seen. You have a love-hate relationship." I laughed.

"We're not partners. We're co-workers."

"Ok? Are we- or were we partners?" I genuenly asked.

"I think its safe to say... maybe... friends?" 

"That sounds nice. I havent had friends in a while." I simply replied. Sadly, it was true.

"Do you... still get nightmares?" He asked slowly with caution.

I took a shot of the whiskey. The beverage, burning my throat in the process.

"I think you got your answer. Do you still get nightmares?"

He also took a shot.

"I guess we both got our answers." He stated.

I nodded.

"I dont mean to cross any lines but, every time you talk about your mother, there's a sadness in your voice. Why? I mean, you never spoke much about her before."

"...My parents are my everything, i've been on the run since before the blip so, it's been a while since i've seen them." 

I looked down, before reverting my gaze at him. 

"I'm sorry."

"Not your fault Bucky. Sometimes... shit happens, and we have to deal with it."

"I guess your right."

"Of course i am, did you forget who i am?" I playfully scold him.

"I could never."

Silence

"Have you ever thought of putting magnets in your arm?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"No actually. Why? Have you done it?"

"It was one of the first things i did when i started to get comfortable with it." I smile.

"You know, i think you're one of the few people not bothered by metal arms."

"Well, at first i hated mine to be honest. Brought too many painful memories. Every time i used to look at it i would think back at the accident. Then i realized i was gonna be stuck with it forever so why waste my time brooding and sulking about? Now, every time i look at it, i remember Anakin and Lukes' hands. Makes me feel a bit better."

"Anakin and Luke?"

"Oh my god. You havent seen Star Wars?! Wasnt that like, number one on the list?!"

"I was gonna watch it but you can thank Miss Karli Morgenthau for interrupting my movie marathons."

"Ok, I will only validate that because your saving the world."