76

I smoothed my dress down my body, surveying Hero's disheveled appearance.

He really was hot when I caught him off guard. Especially when he flaunted his just-fucked hair, though we hadn't actually done that. 

"How are you feeling?" I asked. 

"How else could I feel after doing that to you?" Hero breathed, caressing my cheek. "You set me on fire, baby." 

I shook my head. 

"No, not that. Diedre. I can't imagine how you feel after kicking her out of your life." 

Hero huffed. "I had to. She was threatening our relationship." 

I sighed. "Be honest. I know you didn't want to do that." 

He rolled his eyes. 

"Can we not do this? I was used to her being a part of my life in a big way and now she's not. What more do you want from me?" 

I forced myself to quit talking. I knew he was only lashing out like this because he was hurt in so many ways.

She was his grandmother, yes, but she was also the woman that seduced him as a minor. 

She was disgusting and evil and didn't need to be in his life. 

"Do you think you'll ever see her again?" I asked, despite his irritation. 

He rolled his eyes. 

"I've made it clear I don't want to see her again, Kristina. She is my grandmother so I can't force her to stay away from Dorinda."

Oh that was right. He had a habit lately of visiting her. I still wondered if she had more going on than she was willing to admit.

"Do you promise you won't see her unless absolutely necessary?" I begged.

Hero took ahold of my face gently in his hands. 

"Kristina, I already said I wouldn't see her. I promise, okay?" 

Before I could reply, a harsh knock sounded on the door.  I jumped, causing Hero to steady me. 

"Kristina?" A familiar voice called. "Is that you?"

It was Josephine. Crap. 

"U-um," I quickly stuttered, "I'll be out in a minute!" 

She giggled from the other side. 

"Oh, okay! Someone said they saw you go this way. Come out. I want to talk to you!" 

I glanced at Hero waiting for his response. He rolled his eyes, ushering me away. 

"Go on," he whispered. "I won't be far behind." 

With one last kiss, I washed my hands in the sink, as if to make Jo think I actually had been using the bathroom. When I exited, she was grinning. 

She eyed suspiciously. 

"What?" I shrugged. 

She snorted. "Well... your hair..." 

I instantly patted the messy bundle that had formed. Shoot. He and I really hadn't been that careful. 

Josephine didn't attempt to aid me; she stood back, quite enjoying my embarrassment.

It angered me.

Why was she smiling like she knew?

"I know Hero is in there." She stated. "Did you two-? In there?"