82

What? 

I stared at the blaring text, wondering how this could be. What a strange turn of events this was. How did she even know about me? 

Ugh. Hero. Duh. 

But that still didn't explain how she got my number. Not even TMZ could cover that.

I tried sending a text but the same response repeated: error. 

After a minute of pondering over what I could do, I decided to browse Google. I found Facebook shocked at the fact that I had never thought of making one. 

It didn't take long to set up an account. I didn't bother adding a profile picture. I didn't want Hero to catch onto what I was doing and I wouldn't be using it for too long anyhow.

I was flabbergasted when I saw Rose Montgomery's profile, all brown hair and all. She was gorgeous. I wasn't sure how I could compete with that. 

Stop, Kristina. He loves you and only you. 

I took a moment to survey her about list to make sure I wasn't missing anything. She attended Anchorage school in Alaska, that was a given. 

She was.... Single. I didn't like that. That meant she was open for business. 

I took a chance and sent a request for a message: 

This is Kristina. The girl you texted. How do you know about me? 

I set my phone facedown, not wanting to look. Then, with a chime, I got another message back. 

I'm sorry. Hero told me about you. 

Oh I'm sure he did. 

I responded:

What is MY FIANCE doing giving out my number?

I saw the dots appear on our chat log, making me squirm on the bed. 

I respect that you two are together. I can only hope he's matured. He didn't give out your number. I kind of stole it. 

This made me growl in anger. What the hell was her play here? My fingers feverishly typed away at the keyboard. 

I don't know what you're trying to do but I don't like it. I've seen your facetimes and emails between each other. Why are you so adamant on connecting with him? 

The reply was instant:

I just want to sort out a few things. I'm sure you know plenty about me. I really mean no harm. 

This made me roll my eyes. I bit my lip as I angrily typed out a conclusion. 

He's never mentioned you. Ever. Do us a favor and just leave.

I didn't give Rose a chance to say much else before I blocked her. I beat myself up over this. Yet, another conversation that didn't answer anything. 

I'd gotten closure, yes, but I needed to know more. What was she like? What were her intentions? I knew I could have asked but I couldn't handle speaking to her. 

Even over text. Any girl that threatened our relationship, I already hated. 

Oh, I couldn't think about this. 

Stepping off the bed, I popped two Melatonin, drifting off as soon as my head hit my pillow.

When I woke, I had our thick blankets wrapped around me. I felt a strong hand stroking my cheek tenderly, causing me to squint my eyes in the light. 

Hero was staring down at me tenderly, looking so hot in a tight black shirt and mussed hair. I reached a hand up to his chin to stroke it. 

He caught ahold of my arm, stilling my movements.

"You need to sleep." He whispered.

"I can't." I murmured. "I mean. I did... I missed you..."

He smiled. "I missed you more than you know. I hope you know that I would never do anything to hurt you again." 

I instantly sat up at this remark. 

"What's making you say this?"

He groaned, pulling at his hair. 

"Don't you think I feel bad about those tapes? They haunt the shit out of me to this day. Your sex tape haunts me most of all, Kristina. I've been doing reflecting and I know that you should want to leave, but you haven't. Sometimes I lose sight of how lucky I am." 

I shook my head in astonishment. 

"Hero... that's not who you are anymore." 

"I know," he replied, "but you of all people need to hear me say this. I never meant to hurt anyone. Ever. I just needed control..." 

"I know." I cradled his face. "I hope you're not worried of me leaving again." 

Hero allowed a tear to fall onto my palm. 

"I worry about that everyday." 

I sighed. "I'm not leaving. I promise." 

He gathered me into his tight embrace, tangling his tongue with mine. His finger thumbed at the waistband of my shorts, but I shoved his hand away. 

"Kristina, I need you." He begged. 

"I can't." I said, hurrying over to my set of drawers. "I need to go to... um... my mothers." 

Hero huffed like an errant child. 

"I just got here." 

I swiveled around, unleashing my anger out on him. 

"Yeah? Well you've been acting super sketchy lately Hero! You've been out at all hours of the day and glued to your damn phone! If I need to go visit her I will!" 

I made quick work of dressing in a quick pair of overalls and yanked a brush through my hair.

As I grabbed my keys, I was hell bent on going to the one place I knew I could find some answers.