57

Grayson's POV

1 Month Later

As I approach the house, I feel a quick sense of relief. I know that despite whatever has happened in the past, it all worked out in the end. This is something that I have to do. 

I knock on the door and wait before it opens.

"Hi?" Jose says, taking a step outside.

"Hey." I exhale. "How are you?"

"I'm...good." He says, looking around me to see if anyone else is here.

"It's just me." I inform him.

"Okay." He nods.

"You look like you're healing." I point out. "Kind of."

He lets out a breathy laugh and nods, "Yeah, I'm not. The swelling is just starting to go down." 

I stand in silence, not sure where to go from here.

"What can I help you with, man?"

"I wanted to talk to you." I reply.

"About what?" He asks.

The question isn't rude. It isn't even annoyed. It's curious with a bit of confusion mixed in. I know this because it's the same way I would be reacting right now.

"Emery." I reply.

He nods and lets out a sigh.

"Want a beer?" He asks.

I smirk and nod my head, following him into the house.

"Dos Equis?" He calls from the kitchen. "Or Tecate?"

"Dos Equis." I call back. Truthfully, I hate both of these beers.

He's walking back into the living room with two bottles in his hand, handing one of them to me.

"Thanks." I say, lifting the bottle to him. He smiles and clanks his against mine.

"No problem." He nods.

We sit in silence for a minute before he clears his throat.

"So. Emery?" He asks.

"Yeah." I nod. "I just wanted to say thank you."

"For what?" He asks, taking a swig of the beer.

"For taking care of her. For a really long time. And for giving up everything to be there for her." I reply.

"It was no problem." He replies. "I was just doing what I thought was right."

"Well, you were willing to give up everything for her." I point out.

"I love her." He shrugs. "Both of them."

"I know." I say. "That's why I'm here."

"I don't get it." He replies.

"I want for you to be her God Father." I say slowly.

There's a pause in-between us the moment the words leave my mouth. He looks at me with confusion and takes another drink of his beer.

"Why not Shane? Or Sofia?" He asks. "They would make the clear choice on being God Parents."

"They'd do it, I know.." I mutter. "But you were the person who was ready to care for her without any questions asked. Even after Natalia pushed you away...you stayed. For Emery...and for Nat. I want to know that if something happens to me, Emery will be okay. They both would."