Michael

For the umpteenth time my eyes flicked through every item of clothing that I had left in my closet

For the umpteenth time my eyes flicked through every item of clothing that I had left in my closet. Usually when hanging out with my friends the ordeal doesn't contain this much procrastination but I knew things were going to be different for me now.

I only had last seasons outfits and most of my dresses had already been seen at previous parties. Do you know how socially unacceptable it is to wear a party outfit more than once?

I pulled out a small black Christian Dior dress from last years collection, I wore it for Barnaby's party several months ago but it was plain and sleeveless with a belted waist so I figured it wasn't too remember-able and besides it was the best chance I had at not having my eagle eyed friends notice me re-wearing it. I paired it with a Valentino clutch bag and D&G six inch heels.

"You look beautiful Mia." My mom gasped, a fake smile masking the sorrow behind her eyes. I offered her a fake smile in return. I knew that deep down she was thinking the same thing as me, last years collection, a fully recycled look and the lack of professional hair and makeup was just the icing on top of the cake.

"Thanks," I muttered.

My eyes lingered on the front door, listening to the knocking echoing out into the dank hallway on the opposite side. I pictured his face and my stomach knitted together with anxiety.

"Are you going to let him in?" My mom asked weakly, even she didn't want him here, I could tell. I nodded and hovered my hand over the door knob, willing myself to pluck up the courage and face the judgement. Then I took a deep breath and pulled open the door.

"Mia!" He exclaimed, he launched at me, placing his hands either side of my head and looking me over. He seemed concerned about my safety, and I smiled at him, without opening my mouth. "God, this place is a dump!" He informed my mom and me.

He let go of my face and stepped away, his eyes floated everywhere and he held his limbs close to his body as if he was scared of touching anything.

Michael was my attractive boyfriend of two years. I wish I could say he was my shoulder to cry on, my biggest confidant and the one person in the world I felt truly safe with. Except if I said all of that, I would be lying. He was class president and running for valedictorian, a well respected member of our private school and together we were the power couple of East Side.

He lingered his gaze on our sofa and his nose twitched in disgust. I lowered my head, completely ashamed that he had to see this side of me.

"Michael, could I get you something to drink or eat maybe?" My mom remembered her hospitality amongst her embarrassment.

"Jesus, no chance. I'll end up in the emergency room needing my stomach pumped and sterilized eating in a place like this. How are you both surviving out here?" He continued casting his eyes around, not leaving a square inch of this apartment un-investigated by his judgmental eyes. My mom also lowered her head.