DMWNT 38

DMWNT 38: The Finale

The door burst open. 

And to the students on their knees, suffocating, and desperate, it was like a beacon of hope. They would survive and with strangled cries erupting from their throats, they raced for the door.

Those that are able did so.

But those who have serious injuries lay pathetically on the ground. I could hear the blare of sirens and I knew a bunch of ambulance and firefighters have arrived and would soon start flooding the university, the same way water continued flooding from the space above the gym.

My calculation of their arrival was only off by a mere five minutes. I knew they would come, I'm the one who called them to report a fire, after all and they wouldn't ask questions. There would be no investigation, they would slip in here and leave with all the injured.

Tinuon ko ang paningin  sa likod ni Caspian. He was crouched over the body of his brother. Gusto kong humakbang palapit dito ngunit may nag-uudyok sa aking manatili sa kinatatayuan ko. Something is telling me that if I approach him now... I would lose him forever.

"Rijjah... help her..." rinig kong anas ni Calyx sa kapatid nito. With a stiff nod, Caspian moved to inspect the woman sprawled on the floor. Hindi na gumagalaw ang babae, siguro'y nawalan na ng malay. I could see Caspian's shoulder sag in relief. The woman was unconscious but alive.

Did he thought me capable of killing? Me?

Nanatili akong nakapako sa kinatatayuan ko hanggang sa pumasok ang mga medic, 'yung iba ay dala-dala ang mga stretcher. They were mere red dashing spots in my eyes. I lost count of how many there were. I don't care.

"Medic! Medic! Dito!"

The one shouting bumped into me. He turned to look back and the pissed look on his face was immediately replaced with fear. I ignored him and stalked towards the exit of the gym.

The hallways and even the bath stalls were all mercifully deserted when I took a shower. I dragged myself here because I suppose I should clean myself up, kailangang desente akong tignan bago ko harapin si Caspian. Marami kaming kailangang pag-usapan. Nina Markus. Ni Terra. Wala na ang dalawa sa banyo kung saan ko sila iniwan kanina. They must be confused... angry... so I need to clear things up. What do I tell them? How do I begin to explain my actions?

Would they listen? I hurt their friend. Maddilyn. Would they listen?

Ngunit tama nga ba ang ginawa ko? I thought my actions were justified. What if they look at me like how everybody else looks at me back from that place? 

God. I'm bone tired. Itinapat ko ang hubad na katawan sa lagaslas ng tubig. It's over.

Ipinikit ko ang mga mata. Pinakiramdaman ko ang sarili ko, kinakapa kung nananahan pa rin sa dibdib ko ang galit na nagniningas kanina. Nothing. Weariness was the only thing sitting where anger used to simmer.

It's over.

Nagpapatuyo ako ng buhok ko sa loob ng kwarto ko nang biglang tumunog ang cellphone ko. I covered my head with the towel and answered the call. Huli na nang mapagtanto kong unregistered number ang tumatawag. I was about to end the call when I heard a very familiar voice spoke from the other line.

"Did you have fun, lil'sis?"

A familiar playful voice.

Naipikit ko ang mga mata ko, humigpit ang hawak sa telepono. His number was blocked, of course he'd use a new one to contact me. 

"I have nothing to say to you, Doce."

"But I do, and you will listen." A pause. "Come back home."

"And where is that, Doce?" I said flatly, and ended the call without dropping a beat.