Chapter 26

Saritha rolled over the bed, tapping her hands on Anirudh's side. She frowned and rubbed her eyes opening them sleepily. She stretched her hands up and sat on the bed eying the empty bed.

She snort and sighed. ' Oh nightle velaiye padutuvaru varaveilleya...' ( So, he never came to bed last night )

She tied her hair into a knot and walked into the washroom. ' Door lock pannudi, vantara poraru!' (make sure you lock the door this time, what if he comes in again)
Saritha quickly locked the door and went to the sink. She splashed the cold water on her face before brushing her teeth. Saritha then went a took a quick shower before walking out of the room.

She wore a black and white cotton saree with a deep wine blouse. Today she tied her hair into a high ponytail, applying an orange blusher and light pink lipstick.

When she reached down the stairs, she saw Lakshmi and Ravi talking happily in the dining room.

" Morning attai, morning mama..." (good morning uncle and aunty)

Ravi smiled and wished good morning. Lakshmi gave a small smile and nod.

" Naa poi pooja pannitu varen," Saritha said and walked to the altar. After performing the arthi, she placed the kumkum on her thalli and forehead before walking out. (I'll go pray and come. Arthi: Indian ritual ward off evil eye; Kumkum: vermilion)

" Saritha...yenge pore ?" Lakshmi asked making her tilt her head. (Saritha, where are you going?)

" Ungaluku coffee aprom Rani ka breakfast senjitanga yeduthu varen...sorry attai iniki konjam late achu aprom class irruke..." (Sorry for the delay, breakfast and coffee is ready. I have class today..)

" Athulam venam, ni vanthu okaru ingge," Lakshmi said pointing to the empty chair beside her. Saritha knit her eyebrows together and walked slowly to towards the table. (whatever, come and sit with us..)

" Yen attai, iniki verathama ?" (why aunty, are you fasting today?)

Ravi burst out chuckling making Saritha giggle. Lakshmi pursed her lips and pinched her arms, Saritha yelled out and rubbed her arms.

" Seriyana kolupo di Unake, vanthu okara thane sonne..." (too much attitude, now come and sit..)

Saritha sighed and sat down. Lakshmi smiled and then hollered for Anirudh who shouted saying 5 minutes. Saritha eyebrows raised, her eyes widen as she tilted her head towards the kitchen where his voice can be heard.

" Inthe aalu kitchen le kala kalathala enna panraru?" Saritha muttered to herself making Ravi chuckl and Lakshmi to pursue her lips, crossing her arms and raising eyebrows. (what is this man doing in the kitchen, so early in the morning?)

" Yennadi Sonne...inthe aalu ah ?" (what did you say, this man?)

Saritha swallowed her saliva and gave a sheepish smile.

" Sorry mind voice nenaichi loud ah pesiten," Saritha said making Lakshmi smack her arms. Saritha yelped and rubbed her arms pouting at her displeased mother-in-law. (sorry, I spoke my mind voice out loud )

" What happened ?" Anirudh asked as he brought a tray of sandwiches out.

Ravi chuckled and told him that his mother beat Saritha. Anirudh frowned and turned to his mother.

" Yenma avala adichikenge,?" (why did you hit her mom?)

Saritha's eyes bulged out, her eyebrows raised up and her mouth parted slightly. Lakshmi's eyes widen, she exhaled her breath loudly.

" Yenndada Unake naa support panni pesana...ni yeneve kelvi kekuriya...nalla irruke da...neeyum un pondatiyume sapdunge...naa poren' (I spoke in your favour but you're questioning me only.. Very nice, I'm leaving, I don't want breakfast. Your wife and you can have it.. )