Part 1

Lèse-majesté

Prologue

There was a heavy downpour that day that washed all the colors from the world. At least that was the case for a nine-year old Astrid who wore an all black dress to attend a sober occasion. Her mother's funeral.

On that bleak day Astrid stood motionless as the casket was lowered into the ground. A veil hung over her face as she tried to suppress the tears. The veil wasn't for aesthetics as the day before she had cried her eyes out and had tried to cling to her father's leg asking why Odin would take her momma so soon. The only thing she received in return was a sharp slap to the cheek from the man she thought as father and the comment "Never show such a disgusting face in front of me again,"

She had watched her father stride away, not even bothering to attend the funeral that was being held the day after. His wife was being buried and he hadn't even bothered to show up. Those around her whispered gossip and Astrid clenched her tiny hands into the skirt of her plain black dress. She might be a child but she wasn't stupid. She could understand what everyone was saying.

"..... Isn't she heartless, not even shedding a tear for her mother...."

"... Lady Hofferson had departed too soon...."

"A carriage accident of all things....."

"I heard the Marquise departed yesterday from the manor to the Hymir district. He's not even attending his own wife's funeral...."

"This poor girl, she's probably just trying to keep a brave face..."

"The Hymir district is full of scum and prostitutes. If the Marquis is going there, doesn't that mean he has a mistress?"

"Ssshhhhh...."

"Was Marchioness Hofferson's accident.... Really an accident?"

Astrid bit her lips as these comments floated past her on this sad day. Her mother had been the highlight of Noble society. Not just for her beauty but for her brilliance as well. She had encouraged her daughter to follow her passion even if it was against the norm of society. The young Astrid bit her lip in frustration until she tasted the tang of iron in her mouth. She was bleeding but she didn't care.

As Astrid collapsed to her knees in front of the grave and the workers started shoveling dirt a gentle hand touched her shoulder. The umbrella she had been carrying had long since been discarded and Astrid was soaking wet.

The young girl looked up to see a kindly looking older lady trying to comfort her. She didn't know who this woman was, she seemed to be too old to be one of her mother's friends from her tea parties yet she looked quite regal, even while garbed in black.

"Your mother loved you, never forget that." The woman said to the young girl. "She had a spark to her that couldn't be tamed and jumped headlong into situations. No one could tell her it was impossible. That was who your mother was child."

"Who are you?" Astrid asked as she looked up at the older woman. She could see the beginnings of grey hairs starting to form.

"It doesn't matter. Your mother and I..... we were like water and oil. I realized too late at how wonderful she was and now it's too late to make up with her. You have your mother's spark Astrid. I hope you never lose it."

The young Astrid watched the woman retreat and she stayed long after the grave had been covered. A maid from the manor had come to fetch her and Astrid reluctantly left, still trying to hold back the tears that threatened to burst.

Hours after the funeral the young Astrid got word from the butler that her father's carriage had returned. She rushed down to the foyer to greet him, hoping against all hopes that he had just left out of grief. Those hopes were dashed as she watched from the front door, her father extending his hand into the carriage and helping out a gorgeous woman. Two children, probably no older than her, exited afterwards and Astrid's young mind just couldn't process what she was seeing. When her father caught sight of her, he and the woman still being escorted by him approached.

"Astrid, this is Esmeralda and her two children Rosalinda and Edwin. They will be living here from now on."

Without much more concern for his daughter he guided the woman and children inside the Hofferson manor. The woman had spared Astrid only a look of contempt and her daughter had bumped her shoulder to get past even though the double doors were open and there had been plenty of space. The boy however stopped in front of Astrid and with sad eyes mumbled "I'm sorry for your loss,"

"EDWIN! Don't dawdle! That THING isn't worth your concern, COME!" Esmeralda admonished as the young Astrid was left feeling numb in the foyer.