Part 38

Chapter 37

When Astrid and two of her maids arrived at Lady O'fair's suite in the West wing they were shocked by the flurry of activity. "Don't forget to pack my jewelry case!" Lady Gretchen ordered as she pointed one of her servants to the vanity.

"What is all this?!" Astrid asked as servants rushed passed her. "Lady O'fair I wish for an answer,"

"I am leaving this wretched place!" The Lady huffed while crossing her arms and glaring at Astrid. "Your father was right about you." She then uttered. "You are unfit to be a Marchioness, let alone a Noble!"

"Excuse me?!" Astrid uttered shocked.

"You heard me," Lady Gretchen exclaimed. "Not only did you not guarantee the safety of your guests but you chose to... to... keep that vile creature! Thor knows what sort of devilry created that... that BEAST!"

"I'm not going to put a creature to death for acting out when it was starved!" Astrid retorted.

"Any other Noble would have!" Gretchen shot back. "You might have Noble blood but you are hardly a Noble. But considering who your mother was...."

"How dare you bring my mother into this!" Astrid growled.

"Daughter of a barbarian....." Gretchen announced as Astrid grit her teeth.

"Illbred....." The other woman continued.

"Nothing but a Concubine's daughter from mongrel origins!" She declared smugly. "She dare to think she could rise above her station. And her daughter thinks the same. Lord Anderson should have done away with you when you were a babe!"

Astrid let out a warcry as she lunged at Lady Gretchen whose eyes widened. Astrid's hands found their way around the other lady's neck but her two maids managed to pull her back, though she resisted them quite a lot. No one talked about her mother like that.

"You just proved my point," Gretchen gasped for breath as she grabbed her neck. "I wouldn't dare sully myself further by staying in a mongrel's house." She spat with narrowed eyes.

The maids brought Astrid to a lounge so that she could calm down. Neither one would look her in the eyes either. They had worked for her mother and while they might have felt the same rage that Astrid had when the insults came they, and she knew that they would, prevent their mistress from ending up behind bars for murder.

One of the ladies went to make the madam's favorite Jasmine tea as to help her relax. "Ma'am," the maid that stayed behind called out. "If it would please you, perhaps Sir Eret might know some scandalous secret of Lady O'fair."

"I've already sunk so low by attacking her in broad daylight," Astrid muttered as she rubbed her forehead with her fingers in frustration. "I can't stoop lower by blackmailing her."

"But..." The maid started to say.

"Besides," Astrid continued. "I know what they say about my family behind closed doors." She muttered. "My grandmother was a concubine from unknown lands. I fear that during her husband's reign the rumors were much more vicious. Nobles are traditionalists at heart. Even with the split into the Conservatives and the Libertines they value tradition or some form of it. Those coming from outside the Kingdom aren't often welcomed with open arms."

"Is that why you chose to support neither faction, Miss?" The maid then asked.

"Each faction is rotten to the core if you ask me." She gave a humourless laugh. "My grandmother had no choice but to become a Conservatist when she got married because that placated a lot of Nobles. My mother wanted more from life so she identified more with the Libertines." Astrid sighed. "I was a child, and as William can attest I usually ended up in places I wasn't supposed to be." She confessed. "As such I once overheard my mother arguing with some Nobles who came to visit her. They wanted her to boycott her own mother's tea party. Of course she declined but she felt miserable all day I remember. When I asked her what was wrong she told me she felt used."

The maid was silent, looking sadly at her mistress as she continued the tale. "I would have gladly reached out to my maternal grandmother if I didn't know any better." Astrid sighed. "The moment I do it would seem like I am leaning towards a particular faction. It's best to stay neutral in this instance especially as the family currently controls some of the major monetary resources in the kingdom."

"But surely it can't be so bad!" The maid questioned.

"I would rather not risk it," Astrid mumbled as the second maid returned with a tea set. Behind her was also Lady Mala and Heather.

"Are you alright?!" Heather asked worriedly as she and Mala took a seat on each side of Astrid. "Your maid mentioned an altercation,"

"I'm fine. I just wish I had wrung Lady O'fair's neck faster." Astrid grumbled.

"Lady Anderson has temporarily taken over the host duties and everyone was in the parlor when we noted several servants bringing coffers down to the foyer." Heather told her. "Shouldn't you be elated that she's leaving?"

"But we only noted that after Lord Deranged stormed passed them like the hounds of Hell were on his tail." Lady Mala added. "It was most odd. He nary spared us a glance."

"Ah...." Astrid hoped she didn't sound sheepish. She quickly took a sip from her teacup to cover it. But alas it was too late and both ladies caught the slip.

"To answer your first question, yes, I should be more than elated but rather I feel worry creeping into me." Astrid confessed. "Lady O'fair knows about the dragon."

"So what?" Lady Mala asked with a raised brow. "Would anybody believe her? Why, she'd sooner than later be committed to a sanitarium if she goes about telling people of fire-breathing lizards."

"What worries me is the someone that managed to imprison a dragon in the Colosseum. Not just any person has that kind of authority." Astrid rebutted. "They clearly know about the creatures and if they believe her... By Thor's hammer I hope Sir Hiccup comes back soon,"

"Wait, what?" Lady Heather exclaimed. "What does your paramour have to do with these creatures?"

"That brings us to your second question." Astrid explained. "It's the reason Lord Deranged left in such a hurry. Wait... perhaps it is better that I show you and everyone in attendance. You are my closest confidants after all. I couldn't bare to keep any of you out of the loop anymore." With that Astrid stood up and the other ladies followed, somewhat confused by her statement.

The trio and the two maids made their way to the parlor where Rosalinda and Edwin were trying their best but the atmosphere had changed somewhat since the Nadder's arrival. All eyes were on Astrid as she entered.

"Thank you all so much for your patience," Astrid said as she looked at the Thornston twins, Lady Camicazi, Edwin and Rose. "If you please follow me, many of your questions will be answered." Everyone stood up. Ruffnut, who had surprisingly been playing the harp was more than eager. Astrid led the group towards the East wing's second floor. They made it to a door that was guarded by a pair of knights. The knights, upon seeing her Ladyship allowed the group entrance into the suite.

The maids waited outside while the rest of the group entered. IN the suite they could see the Head Butler tending to a frail man on the canopy bed.

Rose was the first who spoke as she recognized the man. "Hey, it's that old guy the twins helped!" She uttered. This caused Astrid to actually try and hide her smirk as she proceeded to introduce the sickly man.

"Everyone, may I present, his Royal Majesty, King Quintas Ghastly," Astrid said with such a flourish that caused not only Rosalinda to nearly choke on air but poor William actually dropped the teacup he had fetched. The old man on the bed merely laughed at Astrid's antics all while everyone else was left gaping or quickly curtsying.

-------

AN:

(Porg waddles past dressed as Marie Antoinette)
Vala: (Follows with mini guillotine) Here porgy porgy
Meanwhile, Hesztia: "How dare you hurt my muscled panda Gretchen!!!"
(Harry, who was about to tackle Vala stops to stare)