Part 32

Chapter 31

"Hey, guys.... Now that Hiccup's back, CAN SOMEONE GET ME DOWN FROM HERE!" The short guy stuck on the rafters yelled. Astrid frowned as she looked up and wondered how to even get him down but apparently Gobber had that issue covered as he pulled out a rickety wooden ladder from behind the front door. Astrid watched the whole process and idly wondered if Gobber was just prepared for anything or if this situation had happened before.

When the shorter guy was finally back on solid ground his swarmy gaze migrated towards Astrid and Atali who had still been observing the whole scene, too shocked to react much. "Well hello there," He said as he slicked back his disheveled black hair and approached.

"Uh...." Astrid honestly didn't know what to say but thankfully Gobber stepped in, smacking the guy on the back of the head.

"Snotlout behave! That's tha girl yer cousin is sweet on!" Gobber admonished.

Astrid blushed at the statement and also noted that this Snotlout fellow seemed to be somewhat cowed. "You don't want Hiccup to punch you again, do you?!" Gobber continued.

"Alright! Alright! I get it! I get it! No hitting on his lady friend!" Snotlout groaned, rolled his eyes, and tried to avoid eye contact with Astrid. She idly wondered how hard Hiccup had punched this guy for him to be cowed this much.

A crash from upstairs could be heard which caused Astrid to worry. "Why don't ya go on up lass," GObber told her. "I'm pretty sure you won't become a crispy lady,"

"Uhm...." Astrid wasn't sure what to say to that as the statement didn't feel as reassuring as it was probably supposed to be.

Even without Gobber's 'assurance' she had made her decision and slowly ascended the stairs. Before she got far, however, she had heard this Snotlout fellow say "Are you a troll?. 'Cause I want you to smash me." This sentence what followed by a resounding slap. Astrid didn't have to look back to know that Atali had slapped that man for his crass comment.

"Lad, please stop with the horrible pickup lines," Gobber could be heard saying with exasperation as she was finally out of earshot.

As Astrid got to the landing of the second floor she heard voices coming out of the room furthest back. The door had been left ajar and Astrid could make out Hiccup's voice shouting "-othless! No! Ew! No bud! You know that doesn't wash out! TOOOOOOTHLESSSSS!"

"Hiccup? Are you alright?" Astrid called out tentatively as she approached the doorway. The wooden door creaked as she pushed it open further only to be met with what looked like a rather pissed off dragon sitting on his haunches and holding Hiccup possessively.

The dragon growled at her and bared its teeth. "Toothless NO!" Hiccup shouted as she noted he was trying to loosen the dragon's grip on him. More growling ensued and Hiccup, with some exasperation in his voice uttered "We want her to like us bud!" The dragon who, even to Astrid, seemed very skeptical about that statement laid down on the floor, taking Hiccup with him and effectively squishing the man.

"TOOThlesssss..... Neeed... TO.... breathe!" Hiccup managed to convey as his arm flailed about. The black dragon had the decency to look a bit sheepish and finally when Hiccup, still pinned could breathe, he got a word in. "Astrid, this is Toothless, Toothless, this is Astrid,"

Astrid's eyes narrowed while Toothless just growled menacingly. "Toothless! NO! We need her to find your mate!" That caused the dragon to stop and 'arooooo' at Hiccup in a questioning tone.

"I know bud... I know but she's the best we have right now," Hiccup stated. "And... I kind of like her...." he added which caused Astrid's cheeks to heat up. The dragon looked from Hiccup to Astrid... back to Hiccup and then to Astrid again before he got off of Hiccup and just stared at the noblewoman.