Part 4

Chapter 3

Heavy rain spilled from the sky as a thunderstorm rolled in. The hustle and bustle of the night wasn't deterred by this at all as the Hymir district was still very much active. Women were displaying their assets, while men pretended they didn't notice only to be drawn in seconds later by carnal desire. But none of this could be perceived by the young child living above a pub in a dindgy room.

Barely one year old with wisps of dark red hair. The young girl played on the floor with an old blanket as the woman that could be considered her mother puttered around the small apartment they shared. The rowdy noise from the pub one level below could still be heard through the floorboards as the child put part of the blanket in her mouth.

There was a loud banging on the door followed by a shout of "Es, ya got a customer askin' for ya! Get tha brat out of sight."

Hurried footsteps sounded and then the child was lifted up and placed in a rickety wooden chest. "You be quiet now," The mother said as she placed the clueless child along with the old blanket inside. "Why must you be such a bother?" The woman murmured as she shut the lid and then strode to the door just as a knock came.

The child, barely one-year-old, looked out of the cracks of the box and gurgled softly. Mommy would hit her if she wasn't quiet, that she had learned. Why? The child didn't think of it, only that it had hurt the last time.

"Samuel," The woman greeted as the door opened to let in a well-dressed man.

"My dear Esmeralda," The man replied tenderly as he stroked the woman's cheek after shutting the door. "Oh how I have missed you."

"And I, you," Esmeralda said as she leaned into the embrace.

"You are like a beautiful rose, Esmeralda. I love you so much," The man proceeded to kiss her neck, eliciting a soft moan. But instead of reciprocating the woman pushed him away slightly.

"There is something I need to tell you," She suddenly said. "I..... I.. I'm with child."

The color seemed to drain from the man's face as he stared at Esmeralda in utter bafflement. "It's yours," The woman said. "I've been with no man but you!" Of course this was a lie as a one-year-old child was currently trying to amuse herself nearby. "Samuel please.... Please... This child, I beg for it to know its father. You've been so good to me, I couldn't just...."

"Couldn't what?" Samuel asked, confused.

"I can't terminate the child without letting you know!" Esmeralda declared. "There is a medical herb that terminates pregnancies. The other prostitutes told me to use it but you've been the only one I've slept with. You deserved to know!" Esmeralda sank to her knees and sobbed. "You were kind enough to save me from being auctioned off. I know this child might create problems for you.... But.... a child... I can't just....."

"Esmeralda.... Darling... please..." The man now carefully ushered her to stand and sit on the bed. He sank down next to her and hugged her as a sob tore through her throat. "Please, keep the baby."

"But you're married," The woman announced. "Even we get gossip here! You married Marchioness Hofferson right?! And she is already with child!"

"It doesn't matter!" Samuel exclaimed as he gripped Esmeralda's shoulders. "Darling, I will take care of it. I will take care of you. I love you. What the Marchioness and I have is a business arrangement. You are my love."

Esmeralda looked unsure but Samuel placed a finger under her chin and kissed her. "Please trust me. I will give you a better life. Not just you, our child too. It may take some time but you will want for nothing."