Chapter 5-

Chapter 5-

I shield my eyes and try to hide, but a gruff voice calls out, "Who's there?"

I sigh, knowing I'm caught. I hold my hands up like I've been caught by the police. Except he swings the flashlight around, like he can't see me right in front of him. I wave my hand RIGHT in front of his face but he just shakes his head.

"Too many years on the job. I'm starting to hear things that aren't there." He shakes his head and starts walking forward. Then, get this. He walks right through me! I gasp, staggering back. It feels so weird as he walks through me. It seems to drain my energy and I run out the door into the cool night.

I can feel the cool moist wind on my face as I try to stop the new tears running down my face. I look at my hands. They're invisible. I can feel them but when I try to touch the school wall or sit down on a bench, I go right through it. More tears run down my face as I try more things. Am I now a ghost of this stupid school? Am I dead? Finally, I become visible again when I run right into a huge tree. Of course I become visible then! I sit at the base of the tree groaning. Then I keep hitting my head against the tree to make sure I stay there.

"Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. " I mumble every time I hit my head.

"Um, did the tree do something to you?" A voice asks and I jump up to meet stormy grey eyes. I jump back again, fiercely wiping away my tears. His smirk changes. "Are you crying? Are you hurt?"

"No!" I start to say quickly, hiding my face.

"What's wrong?" He asks me again, catching my face. He lifts up my face and looks at it. I feel weird as I fight away his hand. We hardly know each other and he's holding my face. I finally swat his hand away and sit down at the base of the tree again. Surprisingly, he sits down beside me.

"You really aren't leaving until I tell you, right?" I sigh and he nods.

"Fine. I had a nightmare."

"I have nightmares, too. Everyone does." He whispers and I don't say anything. "Would it make you feel better if you told me?"

I stay quiet for a full minute or two while he just waits. Should I tell him? It's not like it's some big secret but... It seems private. I guess who better to tell than a total stranger?

"Okay, it was about the same thing it's always about. The car crash that killed my parents." I say as the tears start to form in my eyes. I do my best to wipe them away as I continue. "Somehow I miraculously survived while my parents died. I don't know how but I only had a few cuts and bruises." I hug my knees to chest as I continue to fight the tears away.

"Then, I decided to go outside to clear my head a little and you won't believe what happened next."

"I might. Try me." He says.

"Okay, you'll think I'm crazy, but... I turned invisible." I say, turning to look at his reaction. It doesn't seem to faze him. "Did you not hear me? I turned invisible and that old dude didn't see me and walked right through me!"

He shrugs, but there's some emotion in his eyes I can't tell. "Let's just say people at this school are... Special."

I shrug my shoulders like him, trying to keep myself awake now. My eyes droop.

"Special like crazy? Well, then, I probably do belong here." That's it. I'm just going crazy. I never saw myself invisible. My grandfather saw I was losing it and sent me to some school for psychos.

The boy laughs. "Not crazy people... Just special. You'll see."

"Fine." I mutter, almost mad he's not telling me. My eyes are finally closed and I fight for them to open but they don't. So I just doze for a second. I hear the boy moving and I'm quick to talk, even though my eyes remain closed.

"Hey! What's your name?" I ask, at least wanting to know this strange boy's name.

"Josh Wilson," he says and I can hear the smirk in his voice.

The next morning, I wake up in my bed wondering how I got there and about the mysterious boy.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Yeah, I know it's short. Sorry! And the person of this chapter is Ellie over to the side. Sorry if the picture's bad.