Chapter 42: Skating With Sapphire 🛴🛹

***

"Watch where you're going, punk! Are you hurt?" Jade scolded him.

"Be careful from now on, okay?" He helped him up as he skated to a safer area.

Watching him with appreciation, Jade dusted his body since he fell to the ground as well.

"What?" He frowned at her.

"What do you mean, what?" She asked confusedly.

"You keep following me and staring at me." He complained at looked at the children chattering at a distance.

With this, Sapphire unzipped her bag and brought out her stamp.

She opened his left palm and imprinted the stamp on it.

"Good job." She said to him with a smile.

"What are you doing?" He questioned.

"I'm rewarding you by giving you a good job stamp." She replied to him, lovingly. "Keep it up, Jade. You've done a good job today." She caresses his head like how she does with her students.

Jade looked at her amazingly as a small smiled formed on his face.

"Let's ride on that!" She pointed as he admired the stamp on his palm.

****

Kate went to her office as she unwrapped the gift Jade gave her earlier.

Seeing that it was a model toy, Kate clutched her jaw in surprise. She couldn't believe Jade actually gifted her a model toy. Tears clouded in her eyes as her fingers shivered around it.

After a while, She went to place it on her shelf. Besides it were a couple more toys and the picture of her late son.

Slowly, Kate held his picture and admire his cute, charming looks.

It's 23 years now since you left me. I think Jade, your younger brother still thinks of you as his elder brother. Only if you were alive to meet him, I would have been best friends and brothers. He made something that you loved most and gifted it to me. You model toys..." Staying this, Kate placed his photograph close to where he heart beats, on her chest.

More tears lingered down her eyes as she smiled. It was tears of joy but somewhere deep inside, Kate could feel her son's happiness too.

Destined had it that Jade would be her son, after all. Kate's late son, Jaden Alejandro had an accident with his dad, Paul. But Paul survived a couple of days before he died too. Before Paul's death, he accepted to adopt Jade as well so, Jade had been their son ever since then. Kate still calls Jade her son's nickname; Jadee.

***

Jade and Sapphire put on a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards and states as they prepared to join the rest of the kid's inline skating.

"It was bad enough that you made me make plastic models. Now you're making me go roller skating?" Jade complained.

"Doesn't it look fun?" She smiled at him.

"Do you do these with your students as well?" Jade asked, interestedly.

"No, we play indoor, but we're allowed to farm and play football outside." Sapphire explained. "What about you. Have you done this before?"

"No."

"Me neither. There was this place to do this in my neighbourhood, but I only watched them." Sapphire narrated.

"I couldn't do this as a child because they told me it was too dangerous. Jade muttered.

"Try it now then, let's see if you'll break a bone since you're an old man now." Sapphire joked as she stood up.