20

3rd person POV

Shane walked into the familiar house and closed the door behind him.

"Oh Shane honey, your back, would you like to join us, its family game night" Mrs Wright squealed directing to the board game in the middle of the room.

Shane gave her a small smile "no Thank you, ma'am" he answered politely.

No one seemed generally surprised at his response as everyone knew how he was like, never wanting to get involved or have any attachments.

It made him wonder how he had gotten involved with the short brown haired girl from school named Imogen.

"What are those?" Michael asked,directing to the bags in  Shane's arms before opening a can of soda and taking a long swig.

"Um, baking supplies" Shane replied, walking over to the kitchen and placing it on the counter.

"Since when do you bake?" Mr Wright asked, raising an eyebrow.

Shane hesitated for a while but then spoke up slowly. "I'm trying new things.."

Mrs Wright gasped " are you going to bake something for us?"

Shane smiled at her "sure, Mrs Wright"

He started bringing out the stuff he had bought from the bags, eggs, flour, sugar, icing and so on and got to work on cookies this time.

Now, anyone that knew Shane knew that cooking is what he loved the most whether it was cooking for himself or others it was just his thing, sure, he had studied psychology but that was his professional dream, being a chef was what he had really wanted .He was in the zone right now, this was his happy place.

He remembered how her face lit up when he had gotten her that cupcake, in all honesty, Shane had hardly ever baked until then and he was genuinely nervous that it was going to suck.

But when she took a bite he saw stars in her eyes, and he unconsciously smiled.

He wanted to keep seeing those stars in her eyes.

He worked hard on these cookies, making sure the nothing was burnt or under done.

He would never admit it but he had really wanted to impress her and cheer her up.

After today, he felt like she would need it.

'I wonder how she's doing right now' he thought, putting the final batch of cookies in the oven.

He was actually concerned about her, which was new because he hardly ever got himself involved with anyone but he couldn't help but want to be there for her, even if in his opinion she was being 'needy'.

But he told himself it was only because he was still feeling guilty, even if Imogen had no memory of him.

He leaned over the counter and watched as Michael played games with his family, and his lips twitched anytime someone would scream or he caught Mr Wright cheating.

'Was this how family was supposed to be?' He often thought

Because his definition of family was quite twisted until he had started living with the Wrights.

His mom had passed away when he was ten and ever since his dad kind of stopped being there for him, coming home late and drunk all the time and getting into fights with the neighbors.

So he hadn't even blinked twice when he was given the chance to start a new life in a new place and forget about some certain people.

Obviously not all of that plan had worked out but surprisingly, he wasn't hating it.