23

Since it was raining and we had nothing to do, I put Charlie in bed, I'm my parents room and Shane started roaming around my book shelf. I knew he wouldn't go searching through anything private like my closets or wardrobes and such. He was a gentleman when he wanted to be.

As he searched I glared daggers to the back of his black hair, wishing it would just magically catch fire.

Okay, maybe not catch fire. Oh my gosh, was I seriously wishing to burn his scalp because he was slightly rude to me.

He pulled out a red hardcover book and scoffed. "You read this garbage?"

I knew what book he was talking about. It was one of the most romantic books I'd ever read, it was cute and filled with fluff. Sure, the guy was kind of unrealistic but reading it made me smile.

"Yes, I do read that garbage!" I said defensively, snatching the book away from him and holding it to my chest.

He chuckled slightly and I almost found myself breaking into a grin, but I held it in.

He searched through the shelf some more and then his gaze landed on something. He looked hesitant but he got them out reveling a familiar pair of ugly rectangular brown glasses with green spots.

He turned to me and with a soft voice said," Can you put it on?" He gave me the glasses.

I stared down at them, I hadn't worn them in front of other people in years, wearing these glasses in front of people brought back bad memories. Memories that made me nauseous. I also wasn't ready to listen to anything he said.

Yes, I'm still slightly pissed.

Instead of giving him the cold shoulder, a cold, more timid part of me spoke up, the part I hated so much;
"I can't"

He gave me an unidentifiable look. "Why not?"

"I'd look like a freak if I wore it. "I wanted to stop there, i didn't even know what led me to saying that in the first place. It made me look vulnerable, but what slipped out next, shocked us both;

"You probably wouldn't even want to be seen near me"

I said it before i could stop myself and now i felt vulnerable, something i didn't like feeling. It reminded me of the days when people called me 'Imogen' the shy girl that everyone could push around.

I tried to ignore the sick feeling in her stomach. I was I.G now, everyone loved I.G.

Shane was staring at me with a look i couldn't recognize and i squirmed under his gaze, but just then but i saw a flash of guilt spark in his eyes.

I don't know why but I found myself taking the glasses away from him and slowly putting it on my face. I looked up at him and his eyes softened at me.

Consciously,I turned away when I felt my cheeks heat up. "I know.. I look weird"

"That's not it at all" He placed a palm on the crown of my head, his own grumpy Shane way of showing affection. It wasn't much, but it made me smile a little, almost forgetting I was mad at him.
He gave me a small smile. "I like it."

I crossed my arms and looked to the side, still wanting to show I was angry at him but not wanting to remove his palm from my head.

"You should wear it more often, Imogen" He said, his fingers gently brushing my scalp.

I tried to ignore the name he called me, like I did when he usually called me 'Imogen' but sitting here with these glasses on and ruffed hair triggered something.

"I.G" I corrected

Shane raised a brow. "Is 'Imogen' not your name?"

He was still stroking my hair gently, if only he knew what that was doing to me.