27

I watched as the girls got ready to go to the movie and ignored the overwhelming feeling of guilt surrounding me.

"So I.G.." Quinn started applying lip gloss and checking it out in the mirror, her eyes shifted slightly towards me. "What's the deal with you and that dude today?"

I let out an amused snort even though I was far from finding any of that funny. "Deal?"

"Yeah, you hang out with him a lot" Camari, stopped tapping away on her phone and sprawled on top of my laps. She gave me a pout. "And you've forgotten all about us!"

I've forgotten all about you?!

I almost say that, but I don't. Or they'll never look at me the same way again.

I let out a breath and let the tension in my bones leak before plastering on a fake smile.
"Its nothing like that, I've just been a bit busy" I said.

"Really?" Jayden raised a brow to the edge of her baseball cap. "You haven't visited our lockers in two weeks!" Jayden exclaimed, flipping a page of the magazine she was holding.

Oh? So you noticed.

Why didn't you say anything before the few times we passed each other in the hallways?

Why didn't you reach out?

What would happen if you visited my locker for a change?

I keep asking myself these voiceless questions and a small, insecure part of me can't help but provide the answer.

Because they don't care about you.

I suddenly miss Shane more than ever. Even though I wrongfully left him in that hallway. He did so much for me in his own little Shane way and I didn't choose him.

I wanted to. But I didn't.

I squirmed nervously on Camari's bed. Being away from them so long made our conversations seem unnatural and awkward. Like we were complete strangers.

Like in a way, I was starting all over again.

I hardly felt this way with Shane.

He was himself and I was myself.

And everything seemed okay that way.

But I dared not leave them. Now I was back, hanging out, watching them laugh, I felt like I couldn't leave them anymore. They were my first source of happiness, where would I be if not for them?

I'd be exactly who I was in my old town.

Unwanted and pathetic.

As much as I wanted to deny it I couldn't help the small part of me that felt all giddy being around them. As pitiful as that was.

"No! Not that one!" Camari exclaimed when she saw Quinn picking out a lime coloured dress. She sat up and walked towards her, leaving her phone right next to me.

I didn't think too much of it first. Actually, I don't care. And at first I don't care when  she receives a text and the phone lights up, revealing 'Angie<3'

But I do care when I see my name at the beginning of the text.

I glace up at Camari, she and Quinn have their heads buried deeply into the closets and Jayden seems deeply engrossed in the magazine she's reading.

I can't believe what I'm about to do. But I'm desperately curious about what they were texting.

I sneakily pull the phone in my direction and open the texts.