Chapter 56 - The return of Valentine

"The scariest thing about distance is you don't know whether they'll miss you or forget you."

I remained in the front hall

I remained in the front hall. I had found a spot near the windows. It abled me to keep watch of any approaching vehicles. Eric had said Valentine would be here within the hour. And I intended to wait for him. I nibbled nervously at my lower lip and tightened the hold I had on my arms, securely wrapped around my chest. For some reason I felt nervous as I stood there. Would I really be able to protect Valentine as I had promised Eric.

But I wasn't able to feel nervous for long because a vehicle turned the corner, driving at incredible speed towards candor headquarter. Valentine was acting rashly, letting his emotions cloud his judgment. I had hoped he wouldn't because it would be easier to handle the situation. When the car skidded to a halt and Valentine stepped out, looking over the open door, I had already excited candor headquarter. And was sprinting towards him.

There were also guards approaching but right now I had to get to him first. When his eyes settled on me, sprinting down the stairs to greet him, he jumped down from the drivers side of the vehicle. He barely managed to take a step before I reached him.

I had never seen this man so emotional before. He had always been the most collected of us all. He had always remained clam around the hot-headed Abby and easily angered Eric. He had even helped me a few times, so when he greeted me with a tight embrace, I didn't hesitate to return it.

Valentine was taller than Eric and I was lifted of the ground. A strange cry left him as he just held me. His shoulders were heaving and heart beating loudly in his chest. I could feel everything as he didn't let me go. I clung to him until the guards stepped up behind me. I tensed and Valentine released me instantly. I spun around, arms wide and trying to shield him for a moment longer.

The guard had their guns raised but I eyed them warily. I remained where I was until they lowered their guns a little. When I turned back around I understood why they had lowered their guns. Valentine had lowered to his knees, hands held up in surrender.

He smiled to me and reached for my hand. He passed something to me before raising his arms higher. When he did, something around his right hand ring finger reflected the light behind us. He wore the ring I had made Eric pass to him from Abby.

The object he had passed to me was my necklace. Tears swelled when I recognized it. I held it tightly as Valentine lowered his head, and shifted his arms up higher in surrender. It was then I stepped away from him, allowing the guards to grab his arms. They twisted them around and forced Val back up onto his feet before pushing him towards candor.

I quickly secured the necklace around my neck before running after them. I had to see where they took him. Surprisingly because it was so late, they took him to Jack Kang's office. Someone must've woken him up because this was an important matter. The guard's side glanced at me when I followed them into the office, Jack Kang stepped in moments later, hurriedly dressed and not as neatly as he usually was.