Epilogue

"Rox—" Ezekiel came up from behind me while I watched the sun rise in the distance, bringing with it the colors of the new day

"Rox—" Ezekiel came up from behind me while I watched the sun rise in the distance, bringing with it the colors of the new day. It was rising with a memory I cherished with all my heart. Octavia had always loved watching the sun rise. The way her eyes lit up and the smile broke on her lips, was something I wouldn't forget anytime soon.

Tears swelled then I recalled the memory. Ezekiel arrived at that moment and allowed his arms to slide around my waist. The loose amity clothes I was wearing wasn't leaving anything to the imagination. It was the most unflattering clothes I had ever worn. He stepped up behind me and rested his chin on his shoulder. "A penny for your thoughts." He asked, making me laugh when my fingers entwined with his.

"I just miss them." I admitted and he blew out a defeated breath. It was the only words I could muster. And it was all I had to say because Ezekiel understood what I meant. It was not that I didn't miss Eric, I had never had a proper relationship with him. But he loved Octavia and that was all I had needed to tell he was an okay guy underneath.

"So do I—" He agreed before releasing me again. An arm went around my shoulder instead and he drew me close. We had found refuge in amity while a small party were beyond the wall. They had slipped though, and was now exploring what was out there. We simply couldn't be alone.

Everything had fallen apart since erudite was overturned and Janine killed. The factionless had pushed for control but candor and amity stood their grounds. Another war brewed as we waited for news beyond the wall.

"Come—our chores are waiting." Ezekiel pressed his lips against my temple and took a deep breath. I rolled my eyes at him before pushing him away playfully. But the damned man, grabbed my shirt and pulled me right back before his lips crashed against mine.

We had found each other in the chaos that Octavia and Eric had left behind.