Chapter 56 - The return of Valentine, and Eric.

"Love is not finding someone to live with. It's finding someone you can't live without."

I remained in the front hall

I remained in the front hall. I had found a comfortable spot near the windows. It allowed me to keep watch of any approaching vehicles. Eric had said Valentine would be here within the hour. And I intended to wait for him. I nibbled nervously at my lower lip and tightened the hold I had on my arms, which was securely wrapped around my chest. For some reason I felt nervous while I stood there. Would I really be able to protect Valentine as I had promised Eric? Doubt was my worst friend in that moment.

But I wasn't able to feel like that for long because a vehicle turned the corner, driving at incredible speed towards candor headquarter. Valentine was acting rashly, letting his emotions cloud his judgment. I had hoped he wouldn't because it would be easier to handle the situation. When the car skidded to a halt and Valentine opened the door, looked over it, eyes frantically searching for something, I had already excited candor headquarter.

It gave me a head start because there were already guards approaching but right now I had to get to him first. When his eyes settled on me, sprinting down the stairs to greet him, he jumped down from the drivers side of the vehicle. He barely managed to take a step before I reached him.

I had never seen this man so emotional before. He had always been the most collected of us all. He had always remained clam around the hot-headed Abby and easily angered Eric. He had even helped me a few times, so when he greeted me with a tight embrace, I didn't hesitate to return it.

Valentine was taller than Eric and I was lifted of the ground. A strange cry left him as he just held me. His shoulders were heaving and heart beating loudly in his chest. I could feel everything while he didn't let me go. I clung to him and he to me until the guards stepped up behind us. I tensed and Valentine released me instantly. It gave me an opportunity to spin around, arms wide and trying to shield him for a moment longer.

The guards already had their guns raised but I eyed them warily. I remained where I was until they lowered their weapons just a little. When I turned back around I understood why they had lowered their guns. Valentine had lowered to his knees, hands held up in surrender.

He smiled to me and reached for my hand. He passed something to me, then he raised his arms higher before he moved them behind his head. When he did, something around his right hand ring finger reflected the light behind us. He wore the ring I had made Eric pass to him from Abby.

The object he had passed to me was my necklace. Tears swelled when I recognized it. I held it tightly clutched in my hand as Valentine lowered his head. It was then I stepped away from him, allowing the guards to grab his arms. They twisted them around and forced Val back up onto his feet before pushing him towards candor.

I quickly secured the necklace around my neck and took a deep breath but when I did, the passenger side door opened up. I spun back around as another figure stepped out and jumped down, but before I could understand who it was they had already moved around the car. My eyes widened when he stepped into the light. "Eric—" I clasped my hand over my mouth as he instantly embraced me.