Chapter 30 - The final test

"Every test in our life makes us bitter or better, every problem comes to break us or make us. The choice is ours whether we become the victim or the victor."

          Everything had become a blur since my participation in the game of dare with Eric and a few of his friends

          Everything had become a blur since my participation in the game of dare with Eric and a few of his friends. Or Ezekiel's friends, whom Tadeo's brother had been apart of. I was still not sure what had happened but I knew Tadeo looked at me quite differently now. The constant gazes was annoying me more and more. But luckily Tadeo had kept quiet and not said anything around the others, not even the twins and for that I was grateful.

Seeing as the days had slowly come together, and the training was finally coming to an end, it was getting easier to not feel as exhausted as I had done before. Initiation was quickly ending. I had already spent nine weeks in dauntless, and now I just needed to pass the final test before I could truly become a member of dauntless.

"You nervous?" Roxy asked, nudging an elbow into the soft part under my arm. I nodded and wrapped my arms around my chest. Four had come to wake us up like he always did every morning. The only thing that had been different was that he told us to pack up our stuff. We would only sleep in the accommodation for one more night.

"Even though we have faced these fears before, I still cannot fathom that we have to face them yet again. Hopefully this will be the last time." I turned to Roxy at my side. She looked a little impressed over my words but still nodded in agreement.

It had felt weird this morning, packing up my stuff and the few things I owned. I didn't own that much, and it could all be tucked away into two clear boxes. Roxy didn't have much more than me and we made sure it was neatly stacked underneath my bed before hurrying off to breakfast.

Four had been waiting for us after breakfast, calling us together before he guided us to another room. A room where we were to wait for our names to be called. Then he had disappeared into a much larger room. I had only gotten a glimpse of it but knew this final test would not be anything like the time in the dull white room with Four where we went through the fear simulation.

When Four emerged in the door again, his eyes landed on me. "Octavia." And he called my name first. Every muscle in my body fought against me when I dragged myself to the door, following Four inside the other room. It was much larger. A circular room with huge windows above my head. It almost reminded me of a ballroom in a castle. I smiled at the thought before noticing the singular chair, placed in the middle of the room.

Then I noticed the familiar dark blue nuances of erudite dressings. My eyes snapped to a person that then decided to move forwards. At first, I had recognized a few of them from erudite leadership, Janine was one of them, but the familiar woman behind her, had made my body go rigid. My mother stood there as well. She hadn't changed at all.

And her eyes were glued on me. At first, she looked directly into my eyes, then they shifted downward, down to the visible tattoos on my forearms. I had chosen to wear a tightfitting blouse today, and pulled my sleeves up over my elbows. It wasn't hard to read her reaction, I had done it for many years and therefore knew she was disappointed.