Chapter 36 - Eric's walls

"Sometimes you will have to make a decision that will break your heart but will give peace to your soul."

I was still in shock when returning to the compound a few hours later

I was still in shock when returning to the compound a few hours later. I had never in a million years guessed that Janine was Eric's mother. His last name must've been his father's name because Janine didn't go by the same surname. Eric had looked at me from the corner of his eyes after Janine had greeted him as her son. It was an awkward embrace, but I remained quiet. There were no need for showcasing that we were dating.

Eric and I were luckily agreeing on that. I were in no need for my own mother to find out I was dating a man. And especially not Janine's son. I understood that it was faction before blood, but this was just strange. But then again, this had to mean that Eric must've seen me before. There were around two years between us. The realization had made me see Eric in another light.

I had been the quiet girl, whereas he most definitely would have been the opposite. But I still couldn't recall seeing him in school. Everyone knew who I was, but I hadn't known Janine had a son. Not many must've known that fact. I had grown incredibly frustrated with my own thoughts. That, Eric had also noticed and he smirked at me. I rolled my eyes, dismissing him a little.

I hadn't spoken much during the time Janine had taken us to her office. Nor when she presented the object to Eric. I had only been in her office once before, when I accidentally, or maybe intentionally and rebelliously, blew up the lab by mixing two compounds that shouldn't have been mixed.

Eric had done most of the talking. He had seemed tense and angry during the entire conversation. Even when Janine presented the object Max had been speaking about. It was securely wrapped, and she was quite vague on the subject, only telling us to get it to Max. I had snorted to myself, annoyed because I felt like a child that was not supposed to know what it was.

When Eric and I got out of the compound, I felt like a heavy weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I reached for Eric's hand. He didn't hesitate to let me take it. He even lifted our joined hands and placed a kiss on the back of my hand. "Fuck—sorry I didn't tell you." Eric sighed when lowering our hands again. "Not many knows, and I simply didn't know how to tell you."

"Eric it's quite aright. Even though I was erudite, I didn't even know. And my mother's been working closely with yours." I chuckled. Eric nodded with a smile of his own. "How come, if I may ask?" I rested my head against his shoulder and Eric sighed deeply.

"My parents split before I was born. Janine felt I got in her way of becoming what she is now, so I grew up only knowing my father. It wasn't before I started school that they told me." Eric admitted. He sounded strangely vulnerable, but I was glad that he told me. "But don't feel sorry. It only brought me to where I am now, and yes I've seen you once or twice in erudite." Eric chuckled before I could ask.

I frowned when he placed a kiss on my forehead. "But that was way before you grew up to become this beautiful woman now at my side. There was no way I could know then that this was going to happen. And I was two years older, very rebellious in school, so I doubt you saw me much in the labs." Eric joked. It was a rare thing that only made me laugh.