Chapter 57 - No longer seperated

"There are plenty of ways to die, but only love can kill and keep you alive to feel it."

Within the hour I snuck away from the others again

Within the hour I snuck away from the others again. Roxy had started to fall asleep and I changed my position with her, letting Ezekiel take over. He looked somewhat grateful as he dared lean his nose into her hair. It was a very affectionate gesture that I hoped he wouldn't regret doing. They would be a good pair. One who had lived his life in solitude because it was easier, and one who had lost everything.

When I sent him a mischievous smile, he only rolled his eyes and drew Roxy closer to him. I was glad that he didn't deny it as I stepped out of the room. The hallways had become rather quiet again. I inhaled deeply before running down the stairs, taking them two steps at a time. It didn't take me long to find my way back to the room where they had put Valentine.

There was only a single guard stationed outside when I stepped up towards the door. He raised an eyebrow but said nothing because I was one of the leaders. I nodded to him and entered the room. Valentine was still seated in the chair Four had deposited him in earlier but this time he was heavily slumped forwards, shoulders barely moving as he breathed in.

His hair clung to his face and I was certain that I saw blood drip from a wound on his face onto the floor. I felt a twinge of guilt as I knelt in front of him. The moment he understood it was me, he lifted his head. It was swollen, multiple bruises colored his golden skin in a variety of colors. He mustered a smile as I reached into my pocket again, bringing out the same knife I had used earlier to cut his bonds.

Valentine sat up properly once his restraints had been cut before he gently rubbed his sore wrists. "Thank you." He muttered and looked around the room. "Tavia—what is the time?" He asked and I flipped my wrist. 02:03. I showed it to him, and he paled. "Shit—they are here already." He leaped of the chair and pulled me up in the process. "Now listen to me—Erudite is finally getting the opportunity to supersede the council—Janine wants all the divergents at all cost."

My eyes widened and he stopped speaking when we both heard the turmoil followed by multiple gunshots. "They're here for the divergent—the mechanisms they've developed is like a serum injector but designed to protect itself. It will not affect divergent, but they will put everyone else to sleep." Valentine kept a tight hold on my arms as he guided me to the doors. "I warned the others, but they didn't seem to believe me—now go get Four. I think they're in the dining hall, they spoke of a meeting there."

I nodded as we stepped out into the hall. "What about you?" I whispered and grabbed his sleeve when he tried to go down the other hall. Valentine turned back to me, a small smile decorating his injured face.

"Abby—" He merely whispered, then ran down the opposite hallway than mine. I looked after him until he was out of sight, then I sprinted down the hallway behind me but when I turned around a corner, I ran directly into Tadeo. He wrapped his arms around me and spun us around once, but before I could understand what had happened, people were shooting at us.