Chapter 39 - Alternating events

"Intimacy transcends the physical. It is a feeling for closeness that isn't about proximity, but of belonging. It is a beautiful emotional space in which two become one."

I stirred around dawn my body restless for some reason

I stirred around dawn my body restless for some reason. It had been long since I had been out on a run. No matter how draining it was, I always returned with a clear head. It allowed me to tackle the day better. I scrubbed the last sleep out of my eyes before sitting up. Eric was still lying on his stomach right next to me, head turned to the other side and arms beneath the pillow. It had always amazed me how he could sleep like that.

Eric rarely snored when lying like this. A part of me enjoyed it but the other wanted to be able to hear him. I just slept better knowing he was right there next to me. We hadn't discussed moving into either of the apartments, though Eric stayed over at my place almost every night. He rarely used his own apartment now. It had only been used whenever he came back extremely late before Grayson left and I became a full-fledged leader.

I covered an escaping yawn with a hand before shifting closer to him. I placed a kiss on his shoulder before turning away again, scooting over the bed to sit on the edge of it. I grabbed my used clothes from yesterday, intending to get up and throw it into the hamper in the corner but an arm wrapped around my waist.

I smiled while a small amused snort left me before I was yanked back onto the bed. I dropped the clothes as Eric managed to pull me over him, and around to lie on the other side so to face him before he wrapped both arms around me. I blew out a breath and gathered my arms in between us. Eric's chest was rising every time he took a breath, but his eyes were still closed. "You're quite needy this morning." I chuckled and tilted my head back to look at him.

Eric cracked open his eyes before rubbing the remainder of the sleep out. He looked just as tired as I was feeling. He hummed in reply before a yawn escaped him. I chuckled again. These small things that reminded me Eric was also human, was some I still found very special. My hand traveled to his cheek, cupped it before forcing him to look down to me. Eric raised an eyebrow, but I stretched and placed my lips on his.

I had only intended a gentle kiss but as I had already stated earlier, Eric was quite needy this morning. He rolled over me, deepening the kiss as he settled on his elbows above me. When he released me and began trailing kisses down my neck, I knew just what he wanted. We had gotten in late yesterday and neither of us had been particularly impressed by Max or Janine. And then we had both really needed sleep.

Eric had been ordered around by his mother. And I had been in abnegation. It was a thing I couldn't tell Eric about. It was the first secret I kept from him. We had always been honest towards each other. I tensed when cold hands traveled up my t-shirt. "Eric—" I warned but he ignored me completely and cupped my breasts. I arched into his touch, a moan escaping me before he claimed my lips again. I groaned, frustrated that he wouldn't listen but also relishing in the apparent need for me.