Chapter 45 - On the verge of change

"Lucky is to have you. I keep wondering what I would look like in your eyes because I'm dying to know but afraid to find out."

Eric was still sleeping when I scooted off the bed

Eric was still sleeping when I scooted off the bed. He looked utterly exhausted. Luckily there were a few hours until dinner and where the initiates would attain their final rankings. I looked at him sleeping, taking it all in because I had a feeling this would be one of the last times, I ever saw that sight. Eric was like always on his stomach, arms beneath the pillow.

I gathered my clothes from the floor and got dressed before slipping into the kitchen. I found a piece of paper and a pen before I began writing down whatever I knew. Abnegation had to be warned no matter what. I had only written the first few words when realizing this was what Eric had told me not to do. I clenched my jaw and bit down the guilt. Once finished with the message, I folded the piece of paper and pocked it before running out of the apartment.

I escaped the compound and ran towards abnegation. They had to be warned, even if this would cost me everything. I ran as fast as I could, quickly reaching the white, monotone, boxes the abnegation called homes. I found Natalie and Andrew Prior's house, always making sure no one saw me. It was hard because I stood out in my black clothes.

I had run as fast as I could here but now when I was among the houses, I halted, reevaluating my choice. I saw everything flash before my eyes, all the choices I had made, did it really come to this? I sat down in a crouch, holding both hands around my head because I had wanted to scream, to just run towards the fence and not look back but I wouldn't solve anything like this. It took me a moment to recollect myself and stand back up again. I had to do this.

When I moved around the house, I knew was Natalie and Andrew Prior's, I came to face Natalie directly, she had just stepped out. Her eyes widened and I grabbed her hand, passing the note to her. "You're in danger—this is all I know." I whispered before releasing her hand again. I sprinted back the way I had come, avoiding all the curious eyes I found. She had said nothing when seeing me, her eyes had only widened in disbelief and slowly dropped to our joined hands.

I had smiled at Natalie before turning away again. I had to return before Max noticed I was gone. I sprinted down the less familiar roads back towards dauntless until I stepped out onto familiar roads where I slowed down and acted like I had only been out on a run for enjoyment. I smiled to the dauntless I passed, hoping they could provide me with an alibi if Max was ever told I had left the compound the day before their big trial.

I returned to my apartment and found that Eric was still sleeping. I smiled at the sight before sitting down next to him. When the bed dipped, he stirred, blue eyes found mine before he pushed himself up onto his elbow. The peaceful expression was gone when he looked me over. "What have you done?" Eric asked, voice tight. I couldn't lie to him, he read me to well.

"I made my choice—" I began, and Eric shot up, pushing the comforter away from the bed before he embraced me. "—I'm sorry, Eric." I whispered when he rested his chin against the top of my head. He blew out a breath in defeat as I snuggled against him, wrapping my own arms around his chest.