2. Speculations

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

    Azriel silently followed a shadowy figure through the red stone mountains. Erebus looked back every now and then, but shadows kept Azriel hidden from view. They covered his left bicep especially. A small unmoving flame rested there, thanks to a bargain he had made with Seren shortly after they'd first met. While his shadow remained with her, a band of her fire would stay with him. Erebus spread his wings and took off. Azriel waited a few minutes before following.

He kept Erebus in sight but made sure there was plenty of distance in between them. Wind blew past his face, carrying the warlord's scent towards him. Azriel frowned. The past year had been difficult after Rhys ordered him to keep an eye on Erebus. The temptation to skin the Illyrian alive was usually overwhelming, especially when Azriel caught him eyeing Seren.

He caught a glimpse of Erebus' mangled wrist and couldn't stop his grin from surfacing. Seren had melted Erebus' flesh and bone into a ruined snake as punishment for his attempt to rape her.

The shadows perked up, likely sensing the shift in his thoughts. The Lady of Ashes is home, they whispered.

And we'll soon follow, Azriel promised.

Erebus dipped suddenly and Azriel followed suit. The warlord landed in a stony basin. Three figures were already waiting there. Azriel recognized Beron Vanserra and two of his younger sons. There was no sign of Eris. Shadows folded over Azriel entirely as he reached the basin.

"What news is there?" Beron demanded. "It had better be good, seeing as you've dragged us all the way up here."

Azriel opened his mind, calling out to Rhys. His brother's mental talons poked through his shields momentarily. Rhys said nothing as the conversation continued.

"It is good news, my Lord," Erebus crooned. "My scouts are scouring the Night Court for the Dread Trove and Nesta Archeron's weapons. They will soon be in our hands."

They aren't even in the Night Court, Azriel thought with some satisfaction.

"I don't want to know that scouts are looking for the artifacts," Beron snapped. "I want to know when we have them!" He turned to leave.

"Wait! There's more!" Beron paused and gestured for Erebus to continue. "The fourth Mortal Queen, Vassa, has been returned to her master. I've learned that Jurian is assisting your son, Lucien, and Elain Archeron in their attempts to secure her freedom."

Beron stroked his bearded chin thoughtfully. "Then we must act quickly before they succeed. If Vassa is freed by them, she'll be taken to the Night Court, I'm sure. Once she's there, our master won't be able to obtain her as quickly as he'd like." Beron fixed his dark brown eyes on Erebus. "Go and don't summon me here again unless you have something of greater importance to say."

"Seren Marzena is still overseeing the training of my females." Azriel tensed immediately as Erebus spoke his mate's name. The shadows began whispering mixtures of threats and promises.

Beron strode toward Erebus, fire crackling in his gaze. "Keep an eye on that bitch. She'll be one of the first to go." His lips curled into a wicked grin. "And if you please me, maybe I'll let you spend some time with her beforehand." Erebus grinned in response.

Ours. Ours. Ours, the shadows whispered protectively. Our mate. Our equal. Lady of Ashes. The Shadow's Flame. The Illyrian Dragon.

Quiet, Azriel commanded.